Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a fun game at the FLGS today playing this list:

3x Gold Squadron Pilot w/Engine Upgrade
2x Prototype Pilot

That's right, Rebel 5-ship swarm with no Ion cannons.

He ran this list:

Kath with Ion Cannon, Seismic Charges, and Veteran instincts
2x Obsidian Squadron Pilot
2x Black Squadron Pilot w/Veteran instincts.

Obviously he had 5 points wasted in pilot skill upgrades. But I had 100 points wasted in crappy ships! LOL.

Anyways, great guy and fun game, at least at first, when I was boosting Y-wings all over and was able to take down his Firespray with concentrated spitwads.

After that, it did drag on a bit, since it was all ships with low firepower. I was able to pull out a win, due to some lucky dice and maneuvering just well enough to force him to spread the damage inflicted among all my ships.

I'm grateful he let me play such a silly list that ensured a longer game than usual (probably took over 2 hours to play.)

Anyways, another X-wing bucket list squad crossed off, with Ion-less boosting Y-wings FTW!

PS. Don't try this at home. I mean, literally, don't try it at home, unless you have a very patient opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I once thought about using boosted space trucks, then I slapped myself hard and I chose another forceblush. Replace the engine upgrade for a blaster turret for another "non-ion" variation. I had Dutch with R5-K6 and 3 Gold Squadron with blasters. The ability to offload target locks was cool. The force was nicknamed "Goldie-Locks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DB Draft wrote:
I once thought about using boosted space trucks, then I slapped myself hard and I chose another forceblush. Replace the engine upgrade for a blaster turret for another "non-ion" variation. I had Dutch with R5-K6 and 3 Gold Squadron with blasters. The ability to offload target locks was cool. The force was nicknamed "Goldie-Locks".

I am looking forward to using Blaster cannons. I'm trying to resist using Wave 3 stuff until I have the actual items.

This wasn't a serious list, but just something I had to try. I was inspired to run Y-wings without Ion cannons by my final game in the Regional tournament, which came down to my Bounty Hunter and Dark Curse against my opponent's Dutch with no turret.

He managed to pick off the last hull points on the BH, and then it was finally left to Dark Curse and the Y-wing, both pilot skill 6, each with only one hull point left, to decide the issue. Fortunately for me, I had more green dice. But I was shocked at what he was able to accomplish with just the regular Y-wing. And he did the same thing to his previous opponent as well! Since it is a low priority target with lots of hull/shields, it can just last and last sometimes.

So I thought, what if they could also maneuver better with boost as well? Silly, but fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Fair enough. I do have 5 Y wings so a build of all Gold or Grey is possible. If you really want a silly Y wing build fit them all with proton torpedoes.

Horton with double protons
3 x Gold with single protons

or...

Dutch + R5-K6 + double protons
3 x Gold with single protons

I believe both of these come to 99 points each. The last one may be better with the number of target locks available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like using Proton Torpedos, even in just a fun build. Even with Dutch, using them on low PS pilots is an invitation to go down with them unfired or spent unwisely (that is, without a focus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
I really don't like using Proton Torpedos, even in just a fun build. Even with Dutch, using them on low PS pilots is an invitation to go down with them unfired or spent unwisely (that is, without a focus).

I think you're missing Dutch's ability. A typical turn would go like this:

- A torpedo-armed Gold Squadron Pilot moves at PS2 and takes a Focus action.
- At least one other armed Gold Squad Pilot moves and takes a Focus action.
- other stuff happens from PS2 to PS6
- Dutch Vander moves at PS6, takes a Target Lock action, and gives a Target Lock to an armed Gold Squadron Pilot, allowing it to lock on at PS6 (presumably onto a target that has already moved).
- Dutch fires, spending his Target Lock.
* Ideally, R5-K6 triggers (probability = 3/8) allowing Dutch to reacquire his Target Lock. This allows him to hand a Target Lock to the second armed Gold Squad Pilot, who locks on during the combat phase - after everyone has moved.
- Stuff happens from PS6 to PS2.
- Each of the Gold Squadron Pilots can fire their torpedoes with Focus to spend to modify the result.

I'd probably build a 4x Y-wing Torpedo squad like this:

Dutch Vander + R5-K6 + Ion Cannon Turret (30)
Gold Squadron Pilot + generic droid + Proton Torpedoes (23)

Expect to get 1-2 torpedoes launched per turn once in range of Dutch and friends. The challenge will be in ensuring that all the Torps are fired before enemy ships get too close. For that reason, it might be worthwhile to swap one torp + droid for an Adv. Proton Torpedo once wave 3 arrives.

Having said that, I'll probably never fly 4x Y-wings. I'd be more likely to fly:

Dutch Vander + R5-K6 + Ion Cannon Turret (30)
Prototype Pilot + Concussion Missiles (21)
Prototype Pilot + Concussion Missiles (21)
Rookie Pilot + generic droid + Adv. Proton Torpedoes (28)

Same principle, but after the alpha strike is over, you have more maneuverable A-wings (good for action denial if nothing else) and a versatile X-wing remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not missing Dutch's ability, it's just that the ideal you describe is much much harder to pull off in reality than on paper.

The droid with a 3/8 chance of getting a target lock for one thing is not something to bet on.

Next, it is often difficult to get the target lock with the low PS Goldies until it is too late to matter, notwithstanding the use of Dutch's ability late in the movement cycle. And with only PS 6, he is still moving ahead of many high priority targets, and himself may not be able to do a timely target lock.

Even if it works as well as you describe, you are most likely only going to get to fire 1 torpedo as an "Alpha" strike with both TL+Focus. If you are lucky, you may get 2 off with both actions applied. After that, you are stuck trying to find a way to maintain a target lock with 2 - 3 of the ships long enough to somehow turn around and get a desirable target in your arc for a much delayed second round of torpedo shots. If you can stay alive by this point, you are just plain lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.