Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC M
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a squad-based game that can be solo, versus, or co-op (or all). Something that is fast and not too complicated. Maybe something with missions...

I have 4 kids (all under 12) and they want to play games that I like, but the games I play are a little complex. Also, I don't have tons of time so quick setup is a major plus. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First title that comes to mind Memoir '44. Miniatures, sort-of squad-like, not too terrible to set-up. Variable and replayable, easy to understand for ages 8-12. Lots of expansions, too, if they like it. Not really solo, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a fast co-op you might try D-Day Dice and its expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "tons of time" mean?
Also, how good is their reading?

Ones to loo into:
Marvel Legendary ('semi' co-op, or full co-op).
Sentinels of the Multiverse (co-op, but maybe too much text?)
Elder Sign (co-op, Cthulu theme, but basically dice chucking)
King of Tokyo - dice rolling, versus
Augustus - bingo type game, versus

Edit:
Just realised I may have mis-understood what you meant by 'squad' games.....oh well, these are still worth looking into, all playable by my 5 year old, with the exception of Sentinels.

Other things that are sort of squad based, quick, but only for 2 players:

X-Wing minis
Dreadball (could maybe do a league?)
Summoner Wars (technically plays up to 4, but apparently it's better with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played X-wing minis over the weekend.

+1 for that.

Simple. Minimal set-up compared to other miniature war games. And contains enough strategy to keep you occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy of HeroQuest, that should keep you all happy for quite a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan McCourt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jmokofisi wrote:
I am looking for a squad-based game that can be solo, versus, or co-op (or all). Something that is fast and not too complicated. Maybe something with missions...

I have 4 kids (all under 12) and they want to play games that I like, but the games I play are a little complex. Also, I don't have tons of time so quick setup is a major plus. Thanks!
Daughter is 11, over the last while she has started joining me and my GF is the board games we play and it has now become her thing to do.

When it comes to squad based games the only one I have that she has taken to was Mordheim, she also has the advantage that she can paint her own models.

Depending on the age groups I highly recommend Small World, it's not squad based, however I've found it a great intro into competitive gaming and forward planning.

Good luck, it's well worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls