3 Posts

Cutthroat Caverns: Fresh Meat» Forums » Rules

Subject: Heir and master of the soul blade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Moore
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I'm always the Overlord!Microbadge: Polyhedral dice fanMicrobadge: I'm a GM!Microbadge: I backed Coup and/or Coup: Reformation on KickstarterMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fan
Me and my group are considering disallowing this combination. It's really powerful! The main issue is the soul blade relic. Are we reading it correctly that you can sacrifice as much life as you want on your turn to put permanent +10 attack on it? Most times people just take it instantly to +50 or +60 and suddenly even their weak attacks are strong!

So, just a powerful combo, mis-read ruling or working as intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gendif wrote:
Me and my group are considering disallowing this combination. It's really powerful! The main issue is the soul blade relic. Are we reading it correctly that you can sacrifice as much life as you want on your turn to put permanent +10 attack on it? Most times people just take it instantly to +50 or +60 and suddenly even their weak attacks are strong!

So, just a powerful combo, mis-read ruling or working as intended?
Powerful, but with a cost.
Heir & Master (if that is the only ability they take) drops their life to 80. Powering up Soul Blade to +60 drops their life to 50, right out of the gate. The challenge for that player becomes staying alive, especially if other players start Crit Missing his attacks. Ha. I can tell you that anyone making of habit of that at my table, would soon learn to regret it... Mr. Target-on-your-head. ; )

But of course, you may always make house rules and adjust the playable cards in your game to your liking.

Let me know how it turns out.
Curt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sullivan
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic is a bit old but its relevent.

The other night I was playing a game of Cuttthorat Caverns when someone got the Soul Blade relic. At first we thought that we misunderstood the card becuase of how strong it's power is, but it seems its correct.

On your turn your can sacrific any amout of life and for every 5 life you lose, you gain a token. You can then choose to add 10 attack damage for each token you have to your attacks as long as you have the relic. Is this right?

The player with this relic dominated the game, 1 shotting the last 3-4 monsters. We gave up several encounters before the end, since he had such a huge lead. He had 11 tokens at the end, meaning he got 110 attack added to every attack. The use of protected attacks stopped any action cards. Since he needed only one attack, he could through away his entire hand looking for his potrait cards. The other players never got a Stab & Grab and if they did, there immediate use of it would have been to steal the sword.

His health dropped very low at one point but was able to use potions and relics to regain health.

Even were playing this correctly and we just got unlucky cards to deal with it, its seems that this card is way out of line with the other relics. This relic requires the other players to constantly be fousced on getting it away from that person. If someone gets a stab and grab, there only chocie for how to ise it is to steal the sword.

Maybe the sword should give other players some way to steal it? What if certain action cards can act as stab and grabs for the sword?

A class of really powerful relics that are easier (by making certain action cards stab and grabs) to steal might make for some good gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls