7 Posts

Field Commander: Napoleon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle Plans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cal Igula
United States
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. Just bought the game yesterday... It looks outstanding, although I am still trying to understand some of the pretty 'disjointed' rules, particularly those that involve Battle Plans. Here are my questions:

(1) Assuming I select 2 Battle Plans (the counter Battle Plans), and I am taking 4 forces to battle, do I assign those 2 available counter Battle Plans to 2 forces only (which means the other 2 forces will follow only the default Battle Plans)? Or can I assign those 2 counter Battle Plans (in whatever combination I choose) to all 4 forces that are present on the same Battle sheet? What is the rule, how does this work?

(2) How do the default Battle Plans work?

Martino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1)
You can only assign one unit one selected Battle Plan. In your case, two of your units would have to execute a chosen Default Battle Plan.
(They are printed on the side of the Battle Board).
Please note, that only the enemy forces execute Default Battle Plans depending on their position to the nearest enemy. You may choose one of the Default Battle Plans.

Also, you may assign one Default Battle Plan to more than one of your units.

2) I really don't understand the question. They work like the "counter" Battle Plans: Just do, whats written on them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caligula2013 wrote:
Hi everyone. Just bought the game yesterday... It looks outstanding, although I am still trying to understand some of the pretty 'disjointed' rules, particularly those that involve Battle Plans. Here are my questions:

(1) Assuming I select 2 Battle Plans (the counter Battle Plans), and I am taking 4 forces to battle, do I assign those 2 available counter Battle Plans to 2 forces only (which means the other 2 forces will follow only the default Battle Plans)? Or can I assign those 2 counter Battle Plans (in whatever combination I choose) to all 4 forces that are present on the same Battle sheet? What is the rule, how does this work?

(2) How do the default Battle Plans work?

Martino

Hi from Germany,
here is how I play it.

Let's call all French forces participating in a battle the French army.
This army gets a specific number of Battle Plans per battle round.
This number is either determined by the campaign set-up rules or equal to Napoleon's Command value if present in the battle.
The player has always the option to increase this number of Battle Plans by 1 or 2 provided the required number of Supply points is available.
The number of Battle plans can then be reduced by exchanging them for Insights (this option is only valid if Napoleon is present).
The final number of Battle plans is available at start of each battle turn.
Example: Napoleon is present (his value is 4). This provides the French army a basic number of 4 Battle plans. The player decides to buy 1 more Battle plan and pays the required 2 Supply points.
The player then decides to exchange 2 Battle plans for Insights. This leaves the French army with 3 Battle plans per battle turn.

Battle plans are specific and rather complex orders given to forces (1 Battle plan per force; each Battle plan can only be used a maximum of one time per Battle turn). Different Battle plans may be during each battle turn and given to different forces.
All French forces that do not get a Battle plan may be ordered using the so-called Default Battle plans. A force may also be left without any order for a Battle turn.

The French Default Battle plans are obviously the basic orders of that time.
Move (march) in either direction, Fire, Change Formation, and "It's over Boys, lets leave this place".

Note: most Battle plans as well as Default Battle plans are only valid for Infantry and Cavalry forces.

In detail (rules book, page 15+):
Any French Force that does not receive a Battle Plan counter
may use a Default Plan. Select the Default Plan for a Force
when it is about to act.
You may also choose for a Force to do nothing during the
Turn.

March - If the Force is in Column Formation, do not roll for Activation, this Battle Plan automatically Activates. If the Force is a Cavalry, you may (but are not required to) Advance the Force. If the Force enters a Region containing an Enemy Force, the Enemy Force must make a Shock check. Advance the Force (if the Force is not in Melee combat) or Retreat the Force. If the Force enters a Region containing an Enemy Force, the Enemy Force must make a Shock check. This Battle Plan is an exception: Cannons may use this Battle Plan to Retreat.

Fire - This Battle Plan is an exception: All your Forces may use this Battle Plan. If the Force is in Line Formation, do not roll for Activation, this Battle Plan automatically Activates. Perform an
Attack for the Force if there are Enemy Forces at range 0 or 1.

Pivot - This Battle Plan automatically Activates. Change the Force from Line to Column or from Column to Line.

Retreat - Once your French Forces Rout, all Mobile French Forces must select this Battle Plan. This Battle Plan automatically Activates.
Change the Force to Column Formation. Retreat the Force.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Igula
United States
flag msg tools
Ok, guys, thanks for your help. Just a clarification... I am reading the "March" default Battle Plan to state that Infantry need not 'roll' if in Column formation, but Infantry does need to 'roll' if in Line formation, in order to activate. However, Cavalry may advance with no need to 'roll', whether the Cavalry unit is in Column, or in Line formation. This is my reading of the entire default "March" Battle Plan. Is this correct..? Thanks again.

Martino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi again,

here is my understanding of the MARCH Default Battle plan.

If applied to an Infantry force, the following happens:
If the Infantry force is in column formation, it may either advance (not possible if in melee) or retreat one region. If the Infantry force advances into a region with at least one enemy force, the enemy must make a Shock check.
If the Infantry force is in line formation, it must succeeed with an Activation check in order to advance or retreat (as listed above).

If applied to a Cavalry force, the following happens:
If the Cavalry force is in column formation, it may advance into a region (apply Shock check as required).
Now the Cavalry force may either advance or retreat a region (see case for Infantry as listed above).
If the Cavalry force is in line formation, it must succeed with an Activation check in order to advance (optional) then advance or retreat (as described above for infantry).

In toto: A cavalry unit may move twice if desired and possible!

Special case for this Default Battle plan:
A Cannon Force may use this Default Battle plan to retreat one region (even if it starts in a Melee situation).

Garrisons and Fortifications are not mobile and cannot use this Default Battle plan.

I hope, this helps.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Igula
United States
flag msg tools
Hello again,

On Page 11 of the rulebook, the Section titled "Battle Plan Assignment", under Fortifications, reads: "A Fortification always performs a Fire or Combat Battle Plan [is] (I think it really means 'if') there are non-Melee combat opposing Forces at range 1 or from the Fortification".

Was "at range 1 from the Fortification" supposed to read "at range 1 or more from the Fortification"? In other words, if my assumption here is correct, this rules is essentially saying "treat Fortifications as if they were Cannons (French, or Enemy Cannons)", which perform a 'fire' or 'combat' battle plan if there are non-Melee combat forces at range 1, or more.

Correct...?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.