Hide
3 Posts

Great War at Sea: Dreadnoughts» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assorted Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Lee
msg tools
The following questions came up while playing through a battle scenario using the Dreadnoughts rules.

1. Should non-DD/TB ships with a speed of 2+ have any advantage over similar speed 2 ships? (I have been handling this by giving them a movement allowance of 3 during the Speed 2 Phase.)

2. In the Ranging Modifiers Table, does "fired on target in previous turn" mean "failed a ranging roll against the target last turn"?

3. It appears, based on the statement "separate gunnery rolls are made for a ship's primary, secondary, and tertiary guns" (6.0), that separate ranging rolls must also be made for each (i.e., one gun type cannot inherit ranging success from another). If so, when two (or more) gun types are fired at the same target, is the -25% cumulative modifier applied to the second (and third) types fired? (The Gunnery Strength Modifiers Table uses "ship" instead of "gun type" when describing the subsequent attacker modifier, creating the confusion.)

4. Can I fire a gunnery factor that has been reduced to 0% by modifiers (not by going out of range or LOS blockage) in order to keep a target ranged?

5. Despite posts by others in this forum, I am still confused about the effects of stacking order on gunnery combat (6.3). As written, the rule seems nonsensical. The following would seem to make sense:
A. If the attacker lies in the target group's bow (stern) arc, only the top (bottom) ship in the stack may be targeted.
B. If the target lies in the attacking group's bow (stern) arc, only the top (bottom) ship in the stack may fire.
Correct in either case?

6. Are "flooding" critical hit results intended to be cumulative in the same manner as "fire" results, or can all flooding effects be remedied by a "Repair one type of damage" result on the Damage Control Table?

7. Do ships lose speed from hull damage per the standard GWaS rules? Maybe I am overlooking something, but I can't find any reference to speed loss other than the "Boiler Room" critical hit (which produces a dead in the water result). Assuming that the standard speed reduction represents flooding, should flooding produce a speed loss when playing by the Dreadnoughts rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hank,

1. Technically they shouldn't. Some players (myself included) do however house giving speed 2+ (and 1+) ships an extra move during their first movement segment on even combat turns.

2. No, this is for when a ship has successfully ranged and fired at a target on earlier turns, but not the immediately preceding one (for example, the target moved out of range or the line of sight became blocked).

3. No, a single ranging roll is made for all gunnery coming from a given ship. The -25% modifier is only applied to fire coming from a second (or more) engaging ship.

4. Yes.

5. Not quite. According to Karl's post on CSW, the rule is:

If LOS from the shooter hex to the target hex crosses the bow (stern) of the shooter and the stern (bow) of the target, only the bottom (top) ship in the target hex may be fired upon. In other words, all ships in the shooter hex can fire, but for sighting reasons they can only engage the top or bottom enemy ship depending on the LOS.

6. Yes, flooding hits are cumulative, and must be remedied individually.

7. Yes, ships still lose speed per 8.51. As written, flooding damage however does not produce additional speed loss... but that said, Karl suggested experimenting with the following house rule: have any ship that receives any flooding damage suffer a permanent loss of one move in their first movement segment in tactical combat (operational speed is unaffected).

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Lee
msg tools
Thanks, Jim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.