Elder Sign: Unseen Forces» Forums » General

Subject: New items and spells? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Awesome
United States
flag msg tools
Reposting from another thread:

Can anyone provide thoughts on items and spells? The base game ones were somewhat dry (hold result, add dice mostly). More variety with UF? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Each deck receives a card that gives you Blessed, you also get Adventure-swapper cards, which, along with Greater Banishment Spell, just make Abhoth's Children all but moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yea, the spells and items are better now... I started a game with a common and a spell.. the common gave me a bless (which is OP), and the spell allowed me to discard 3 monsters from the field.

Another thing that's better now (minus the purchasing of elder signs) are the entrance locations... you can now buy TWO items in one turn at the shop, which is much better than wasting your turn buying only one.

Haven't experienced with the allies much yet (only bought a couple)... but the addition of the greater banishing spell is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: I Attend Chineham Board GamersMicrobadge: Concordia: Salsa fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
"Better" sounds as though it's being used as a synonym for "easier" to me. Is that right; is it easier? I thought that they were trying to add both variety and difficulty for experienced players (as they did with the expansions for Arkham Horror)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: I write comments on my 'Record a Play'Microbadge: I avoid KickstarterMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
There are still a few "aww, didn't want to draw that item", but none are as bad as Food or Whiskey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dam the Man wrote:
There are still a few "aww, didn't want to draw that item", but none are as bad as Food or Whiskey.
Agreed. Terrible cards... same with spending 5 trophies to get an ally, and you end up with duke...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
BimmyJim wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Agreed. Terrible cards... same with spending 5 trophies to get an ally, and you end up with duke...
Those cards have saved my bacon on a few occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dam the Man wrote:
Each deck receives a card that gives you Blessed, you also get Adventure-swapper cards, which, along with Greater Banishment Spell, just make Abhoth's Children all but moot.
I was just going to search for clarification on this. Are the Abhoth's children considered "monsters" for this purpose? It does seem QUITE powerful. I thought that their red borders maybe meant they were different from "monsters".

Maybe a stupid question, but it came up in our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Heroes of Might and Magic fan
Yes, they are considered monsters. They are just GOO-specific, just like the mask mosnters - hence the red borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
They, like Mask monsters, are special monsters (on the account that they are only put into the cup when their specific AO is used), but otherwise are handled like normal monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks guys. We played it right then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I log my plays with SPLU!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Dam the Man wrote:
They, like Mask monsters, are special monsters (on the account that they are only put into the cup when their specific AO is used), but otherwise are handled like normal monsters.
That's not correct. The Children of Abhoth aren't put into the cup like normal monsters. They're kept separate and one of them is added every midnight.

This means firstly that there will be more monsters in play than there would otherwise be (so adventures are more likely to have monsters, making things tougher), and secondly that you basically must defeat one every day, though you have 3 days' head start (because if all 3 of them are already out when midnight strikes, you lose the game).

Also, defeating them requires you to become Cursed / lose Blessed status, so they're very nasty indeed unless you have cards to defeat them.

Therefore I don't agree that the Greater Banishment spell makes them "all but moot", either; assuming you even get it, it will save you from them once. Then it goes to the bottom of the deck; good luck getting it back before they overrun you.

(But I do agree that that spell affects them like other monsters, so it is a big help against Abhoth.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
xipuloxx wrote:
Therefore I don't agree that the Greater Banishment spell makes them "all but moot", either; assuming you even get it, it will save you from them once. Then it goes to the bottom of the deck; good luck getting it back before they overrun you.)
You get 1 CoA per Midnight and lose from them if all 3 are already out and you'd place one, so on the 5th Mythos cards at a normal rate, which BTW is my average time for sealing away the AO. If you toss in GB when all three are already out, that's another +4 Mythos before you'll lose. While today's game actually went 9 Mythos (of which only 2 added a doom token), that is very much a rarity in terms of game length. Thus for me, one GB wiping out all three CoA makes them moot, never have to interact with them at all, let three come out, GB, you let them come out again, more than enough time to seal away and win without worrying about them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls