David A
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Eclipse fan
Last night we sat down for our first game of GoT: LCG. There was only three of us but we thought we would give it a try. We are very familiar with many types of games as have have played many different types, from Magic the Gathering (beta), Netrunner, Risk, Dominion, Eclipse, Lords of Waterdeep to name a few. We have also played the Game of Thrones: The Board Game.

So we sat down last night to give a try at the GoT: LCG. We watched the videos and walked ourselves thru the rules and then we began to give it a try. Now we weren't expecting to walk right in and be completely immersed in the game, as we knew there would be a learn curve. Note that we were using the base set of the pre-constructed decks (four houses and the two bounce house indicators).

We stumble thru a few of the rules but slowly things began to fall into place, but we found somethings a little strange and felt that we must be doing something wrong:

1) We just seemed to be building a massive army with no one attacking as there didn't seem to be much of reward from doing so. For example: you could send out and four or five cards (knights, army, ally, etc) in a military conquest and the opponent can block you with one guy and the attack has been stopped. What did the opponent lose ... one character card? It didn't seem that effective and began to think that we are doing something wrong?

2) The reward for getting thru with the attack also didn't seem that rewarding. One power point didn't seems a significant reward for getting thru someones defences in a power challenge.

3) Each card seemed to have a million little things to it. We understood that it would take some time for use to figure out all the cards and their abilities but each card seem to have a a number of different occurrences. A card never seemed to be eliminated as there was so other effects, does this ever become second nature or is this just the nature of the complexity of the game.

4) The speed of the game in multiply player. We don't typically play games that are one on one, but ones that involve multiple players. However it seems that this game seems to be something that could take a lot of time. Are we correct, that a game can take (multiple player games), up to 3 or even 4 hours?

These were just a few questions and observations regarding the game that we hope to begin to love as much as some of the other games we have in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2012Microbadge: 2015 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: 2016 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: 2017 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
to learn the game i would suggest first playing the 1v1 game without the board and roles so you get how it all works... do this with each person who you plan on playing the 3-4 player version with at least 1-3 times preferably...

i haven't actually considered sitting back and building up cards before attacking, as when I have played with people we always just smash into each other as soon as possible scrambling for power points, so perhaps we are doing it wrong haha!!

I would suggest that a 2p game could go between 30mins to 1.5hr and a 3-4 player game could last 1hr to 2hrs depending on how the cards come out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Eclipse fan
Thank you for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Parent of Five BoysMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
Doy42 wrote:

1) We just seemed to be building a massive army with no one attacking as there didn't seem to be much of reward from doing so. For example: you could send out and four or five cards (knights, army, ally, etc) in a military conquest and the opponent can block you with one guy and the attack has been stopped. What did the opponent lose ... one character card? It didn't seem that effective and began to think that we are doing something wrong?
By attacking, you mean "military challenge" ? If 1 guy is enough to block a military challenge vs many guys, then either you count strength wrong, or you should not do the military challenge.
If you mean any of the 3 challenges, then the incentive is gaining power since it is the victory condition.
Don't let opponents enough time to build a money generating engines or too strong military strength.
"Valar Morghulis" plot is very useful when you are getting overwhelmed by opponent military strength, however it sucks when you play it and have the advantage ...

Doy42 wrote:

2) The reward for getting thru with the attack also didn't seem that rewarding. One power point didn't seems a significant reward for getting thru someones defences in a power challenge.
Since the game is won with 12 power IIRC, a 1 power gained in significant.
What you want to try to do, is to force the opponent to not defend, since for undefended challenges you can get additional powers.

Doy42 wrote:

3) Each card seemed to have a million little things to it. We understood that it would take some time for use to figure out all the cards and their abilities but each card seem to have a a number of different occurrences. A card never seemed to be eliminated as there was so other effects, does this ever become second nature or is this just the nature of the complexity of the game.
No so clear... do you mean the character cards ?
The text and icons are quite straight forward, but you need to integrate your cards as well as your opponents which can be tough. The most difficult part of the game to me is the keywords on cards...

Doy42 wrote:

4) The speed of the game in multiply player. We don't typically play games that are one on one, but ones that involve multiple players. However it seems that this game seems to be something that could take a lot of time. Are we correct, that a game can take (multiple player games), up to 3 or even 4 hours?
I personally prefer 1v1 play, but 1v1 can be more luck driven and less balanced. Multiplayer game however can drag because of AP, since you need to think who you are going to attack, which challenge to use, does the opponent has a chance to defend, all the cards effects and keywords, and which card to keep for defense later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The core decks can clutter the board with characters because there is only a single copy of Valar for all four houses. This board clearing card goes in almost all competitive decks and the effect is an important part of the game. Amongst many experienced players melee (multi-player) games are very quick, often finishing by round three or four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: Frank Lloyd Wright fanMicrobadge: Picasso fanMicrobadge: Wine drinker
Heishiro1976 wrote:
Since the game is won with 12 power IIRC, a 1 power gained in significant.
I guess you don't, isn't it 15?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
msg tools
Thank you all for your input. We are definitely going to try this again and see what happens.

One question, if you attack someone in a "power challenge" and they don't have any power tokens you only get one power token from the bank, is that correct.

One more thing ... when we went online to search for FAQ and errata FF had some information but it was overwhelming with 29 pages of notes and information. That was a little scary for sure. But I guess its just the nature of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Tzolk'in fan - Crystal Skull Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fanMicrobadge: Oakland Raiders fan
Doy42 wrote:
Thank you all for your input. We are definitely going to try this again and see what happens.

One question, if you attack someone in a "power challenge" and they don't have any power tokens you only get one power token from the bank, is that correct.

One more thing ... when we went online to search for FAQ and errata FF had some information but it was overwhelming with 29 pages of notes and information. That was a little scary for sure. But I guess its just the nature of the game.
No. If your opponent doesn't have any power tokens on their House card to take, you don't get to move any for claim. You can still get one for unopposed (plus any for Renown), though.

The FAQ is probably a bit much for you now. Get a few more games in (preferably, as suggested above, 2-player games; that really is the better way to learn the rules and cards), then turn your attention to the Timing Charts. Those are the most important things to learn for the moment.

Once you have all that down and are ready to move on to expansions and chapter packs, you can start worrying about absorbing the FAQ. You may get a few issues wrong for a bit but there's not that much in there that will significantly affect your early, Core Set-only learning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme SSSSS
msg tools
Microbadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Command & Conquer fan - Real Tough Guy!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Are you sure you're not forgetting/misplaying Renown? That's the mistake we made when I first played and it does make the game drag.

It's important to make sure that any character that is involved on the winning side of any kind of challenge (in attack or defence) can claim a power from the bank at the end of the challenge, which is placed onto that character and still counts towards the total of 15.

If you play properly, it's very rare for a single game to use all 7 plot cards - even getting to the 5th round is a bit unusual. If you're having to restart your plot deck regularly then yes, chances are that you are doing something wrong.

Interesting as well that you don't value the military challenges - usually it's hard to persuade beginners as to the value of the other two. I'd be very interested to find out which of the core decks your group considers the strongest after a few matches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls