Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 6 states: "The choice of general orders for the next turn (Attack, Hold, or Withdraw) is restricted as follows: 1) If you are the second player, and you voluntarily chose a turn duration of less than the legal maximum for the current turn, then for next turn you must choose either Attack or Withdraw."

Does this mean that if the second player had chosen Attack the previous turn, requiring a one hour turn (i.e. less than the legal maximum if both sides have more than 2 units), then that player MUST declare either Attack or Withdraw for the next turn?

Or is the 'legal maximum' defined as one in the case of Attack general orders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Orders are set before duration, so the attack orders establish the maximum duration as one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation:

In order to choose Hold orders, the second player must select as long a turn duration as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the legal maximum of a turn with at least one attack general order is one turn. Read the section on turn length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
My interpretation:

In order to choose Hold orders, the second player must select as long a turn duration as possible.
Not at all. The second player may select Hold orders at any time and for any duration (up to the maximum) so long as his current turn was not conducted under Hold or Withdrawal orders of less than maximum length.

Attack orders aren't considered in this description because, as above, turns with either player under Attack orders are already defined as being a max length of 1 hour, and so those turns can never be of less than max length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
Does this mean that if the second player had chosen Attack the previous turn, requiring a one hour turn (i.e. less than the legal maximum if both sides have more than 2 units), then that player MUST declare either Attack or Withdraw for the next turn?

Sorry folks not to be clear. But y'all aren't understanding this question. The question is about the restriction put on the selection of General Orders for the next turn by the previous turn's selection of General Orders.

If the last turn could have been two hours but was only one because the second player had chosen Attack general orders in the previous turn (thus cutting the turn length down to the obligatory 1 hour), does that mean that the second player can ONLY choose Attack or Withdraw for the upcoming turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I will try.

Prior turn. selected hold orders.

current turn. Under hold orders and select duration less than the maximum length.

Then for next turn must select either attack or withdraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:

No.

Attack orders (and night) force mandatory one hour turn lengths. The one hour turn length isn't voluntarily chosen. Thus, the attacker does not have to declare attack orders the following turn. (Worth noting is that the idea that attack orders one turn would force attack orders the following turn would make the game impossible to play, rather strongly suggesting that it isn't correct.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
claudio212 wrote:

No.

Attack orders (and night) force mandatory one hour turn lengths. The one hour turn length isn't voluntarily chosen. Thus, the attacker does not have to declare attack orders the following turn. (Worth noting is that the idea that attack orders one turn would force attack orders the following turn would make the game impossible to play, rather strongly suggesting that it isn't correct.)

I thought it seemed odd. But Withdrawal is also possible. Still odd, but more playable. I guess I've just been conditioned to accept that I should never assume anything.

My question came from the fact that a) choosing 'Attack' orders is just that - a choice - making the one hour restriction voluntary in a sense, and b) the definition of 'maximum turn length' in section 7 seems to be very specifically around the number of units calculation (with nothing to do with the truncation possible by an attack order).

All that said, it did seem odd, and I was pretty darned sure the restriction didn't apply. But I figured it was best to make sure.

Thanks for your response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
My question came from the fact that a) choosing 'Attack' orders is just that - a choice - making the one hour restriction voluntary in a sense, and b) the definition of 'maximum turn length' in section 7 seems to be very specifically around the number of units calculation (with nothing to do with the truncation possible by an attack order).

Actually, double check section 7. It contains 3 bullets near the end of the section. The 2nd bullet specifically addresses what the turn length must be if either player declared Attack general orders for the current turn. So that is part of the process of determining Turn duration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.