8 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Anonymous Tip in Combo Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In decks built around a particularly expensive out of faction card like Trick of Light or Midseason Replacements or Scorched Earth, I am often torn between including a 3rd copy of the "combo card" versus staying at 2 copies plus 3x Anonymous Tip.

I will post some of my thoughts and hopefully you can clarify/add your own?

Pros to a 3rd copy of the Big Expensive Combo Card:
* You will draw the first copy of the card sooner on average. (Data from a quick python simulation I wrote here. Source.)
* If you need to play it more than one/twice in the game, you can draw your 3rd copy rather than needing a way to get it from Archives.
* If your opponent is milling you, you are less likely to lose all the copies. Similarly, if the card is trashable (or Imp/Demo Run) you are less likely to lose all the copies.
* You're more likely to draw a copy of it without accelerating your draw and dealing with all the side effects of that.
* Your deck will have 2 fewer cards overall.

Pros to 3x Anonymous Tip:
* Each draw is less likely to be your Big Expensive Combo Card, but you're drawing everything faster including your in-faction combo pieces.
* Your opponent is less likely to see a copy of the Big Expensive Combo Card before you play it.
* If the card costs more than 3 influence, you'll have 1-2 extra influence to spend.
* Thins your deck, as always.

I've tried some playtesting but it is difficult for me to tell what the expected case is from just a few games. Curious for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Benjamin

Maryland
msg tools
Cut something else and play 3 of each?

Seriously, if you do focus on a "combo" or rely on drawing 2 of the same card (like with SE), then run as much redundancy with as much card draw as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jediloser wrote:
Cut something else and play 3 of each?

Seriously, if you do focus on a "combo" or rely on drawing 2 of the same card (like with SE), then run as much redundancy with as much card draw as you can.
It doesn't always seem that easy if Anonymous Tip and the card you want to draw are both out of faction. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
tips seem good for digging hard after you set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Drake
United States
California
flag msg tools
I find precog more useful for combo set ups but the faction cost is hefty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With Anonymous Tip you have to consider that you draw agendas noticeably faster. Your odds of drawing 1 or more agendas when you play that card are very close to 50%.

Whether this helps or hinders your game plan should tell you whether or not you want that card.

Depending on your deck, Aggressive Negotiation can also be viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't have 3 SE how will I be able to tripple-SE the runner in one turn? This is necessary when they have one plascrete and always 5 cards in hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Y00shi wrote:
If I don't have 3 SE how will I be able to tripple-SE the runner in one turn? This is necessary when they have one plascrete and always 5 cards in hand
Combo or not if corps deck building wasnt so restricted I would consider running it in almost every standard corp deck just for the reason that half my games end up in me needing 1 more agenda to win the game and usually the resources to do it from hand, but I am unable to stop or draw past the r&d dig.

I think it's way better than people give it credit but when you only have 15ish slots to play with after agendas and ice it doesn't make the cut usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls