Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that one of my goals with HoA was to make a game that it intuitive. Intuitiveness is often at odds with complexity in an inverse manner. In other words, as the complexity of the game increase, the intuitiveness decreases.

For example. Let's design a bounty creature that that only allows you to hit it if you rolled double-hits. How can we visually express these requirement on the face of the card? Here are a couple ways methods:

1) write it directly on the card: "Hits to this bounty must be rolled in doubles/pairs". Then expound further in the rules.

2) design an icon that symbolizes the needs to roll doubles. Then expound this further in the rules.

3) pair the hit boxes together and expound in the rules. This partly relies on the player being able to infer (through good design) that, I need to roll doubles before placing anything.

These are all varying methods that decrease the distance between complex and intuitive.

In general, this is a new "mechanic" that rests on top of an existing mechanic (that of rolling dice requirements). Just about all of these methods will deepen the rules. While that is not inherently a bad thing, I caution gameplay that constantly requires referencing the book. Yes- once you have everything memorized, the game flows just fine, but at this point, I would say there is plenty of diversity.

I do like the HoA system for having this flexibility. There is already a bounty card in the deck that uses method #2 described above. The "Predator", thematically, this attribute plays into how it is a dangerous creature with a statistically higher chance of harming a player.

The deck currently has a lot of balance and it flows very smoothly according to the experience I wanted to capture (pun!). Still, I look forward to what others have come up with for the future of Hunters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want more modifier cards, like Elusive Prey.

A have a few ideas (all attach to next bounty, like Elusive Prey):
1) 2 Heal Icons
2) 4 Stun Icons
3) 1 Hit Icon and 1 Heal Icon
4) 1 Heal Icon and 3 Stun Icons
5) 3 Hit Icons (BA Version)

I have some tentative ideas on how much fame and fortune they should add, but I haven't really spent enough time on it yet.

Another idea I have is Bounties with a special ability that lets them modify dice pools rolled while they are active. The ability would read something like: "While this bounty is active and rolling 2 or more dice," and would go on to spell out a change, like: "turn one hit rolled into a stun" or "turn one heal rolled into a hit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.