10 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Battalion Card 1A, Infantry Force - Easier to just ignore it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three times I have attacked this evil evil battalion, twice I ended up with my poor aircrew jibbering wrecks, flying bullet-ridden, spluttering, barely functional scraps of junk. Initially I thought that SAM's were utter evil, but with careful planning, you can hopefully eliminate them without taking serious damage. This battalion though, has so much range 1 infantry, its impossible to hide your bullet magnets with any real degree of efficiency. No matter where I seem to go, there is always another Hex of ground pounders filling my aircraft with 7.62! Unless the bad guys all pile into the same couple of Hex's its lead for dinner. Is it better to just avoid this monster as long as possible, as the VP's gained are often spent on replacement aircraft!
The one time I had some sweet revenge on this card, involved a spectre gunship.
That same spectre gunship you can't take to Libya 1984. Or Iraq 1991.
So, what do you guys do? Ignore it? Pour a pile of fast mk.20 dropping pilots onto it? Or something I clearly have not thought of laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evasive pilots maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It whips me too. One thing is to wear it down over at least two missions. Get in, drop some heavy weapons on half the targets if possible, and get out!! It is tough, and I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Holbronx82 wrote:
Pour a pile of fast mk.20 dropping pilots onto it?

Yup.

Seems to be my "cure all". A-10 loaded for bear with MK .20's. In Warthog we trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm food for thought. The game's where I got proper shot up, I don't think the odd point of being evasive would have really helped me. I was drawing handfuls of counters!
I think a problem is the forced movement of planes, which doesnt give you enough time to clear a space before you have to move again. Taking a bunch of Helo's and playing as safely as possible might work, but you would probably have to settle for reducing it to half strength.
I think next time it comes up, I'll put every single plane onto it, and unleash mahoosive amounts of mk 20's on the buggers. I'll probably put as many WP as I can of them, as the mission is utterly packed with bad guys. The A-10 always has its cannon anyway, which is the mutts nuts! I can't help but make a lame fart-sounding cannon noise whenever I kill something with it.

Admit it, it's not just me is it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holbronx82 wrote:
Hmmm food for thought. The game's where I got proper shot up, I don't think the odd point of being evasive would have really helped me. I was drawing handfuls of counters!
I think a problem is the forced movement of planes, which doesnt give you enough time to clear a space before you have to move again. Taking a bunch of Helo's and playing as safely as possible might work, but you would probably have to settle for reducing it to half strength.
I think next time it comes up, I'll put every single plane onto it, and unleash mahoosive amounts of mk 20's on the buggers. I'll probably put as many WP as I can of them, as the mission is utterly packed with bad guys. The A-10 always has its cannon anyway, which is the mutts nuts! I can't help but make a lame fart-sounding cannon noise whenever I kill something with it.

Admit it, it's not just me is it whistle

You are spot on my friend! My wife cannot fathom how in the world I can lose at a solitaire game and be juiced about!! They just don't grok!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a pop at these awful buggers last night and got one of my better results against it. Something tells me its probably down to more of this "practice" that people speak of.
Took it on with 3x AH-1's with AGM-114's and LAU's and 1x A-10 with piles of mk.20s a couple of AGM-65's and fuel tanks. I was very lucky with deployment as a lot of the enemy counters ended up in the same few hexes.
All the AH-1's entered from the same, safest hex. The A-10 came on with a good attack angle on the most threatening AAA, as he was fast.
When I have played previously, when an aircraft has run dry of ammo, I have insisted it stay around for as long as possible trying to get a few extra cannon hits. This has led to my largely ineffective AH-1's getting awfully shot up. So, They emptied all shots into adjacent hex's then bugged out as soon as they were dry. The A-10 then flew as slowly as possible around the map, and ran off like a coward as soon as I got a destroyed rating. I played as cautiously as possible but I feel I was greatly helped by rather fortunate enemy placement, leaving them vulnerable to mk.20s and good terrain gave me a chance to hide. My AH-1's made an important contribution clearing out some potentially threatening bad guys before my A10 got to the area, but it really annoyed me having to have them go home early. In my next campaign, I'm taking lots of Apaches!

In the end I went home with some engine damage and...

no wonder its stressful getting into a plane looking like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holbronx82 wrote:
My AH-1's made an important contribution clearing out some potentially threatening bad guys before my A10 got to the area, but it really annoyed me having to have them go home early.

Hit and run tactics are just smart, especially with the fragile Cobras. You almost certainly saved yourself some SOs, VPs, and/or pilot stress in the long run by going that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of necro-ing this thread, I thought I would add in my recently successful tactics against this evil Battalion.

Yes, attack it in two waves (on separate days or twice in the same day). The key is of course half-killing it on the first wave.

I use two or three fast jets with fast Pilots. Alternatively, you can use slow Pilots but use an unmanned aircraft (if available) to make everyone fast. Moving first is key.

The whole tactic hinges on being in and out before the enemy can fire. You only stay for one move, and this must be the first move (i.e. 'Fast'). So, the UAV deploys on an outer hex edge ready to disengage and enables the slow Pilots to move first, then they all disengage together, with the UAV moving last. Set up the fast jets so that their move will take them off the board having flown through two hexes (or up to three for the F-16). Everyone at High level. Use cluster bombs for the hex you are in, and Independent (GBU's) for the hex in front of you, the one you will pass over on your way out. That way, you get to attack two hexes at once with each jet. Choose the hexes with the most VP in them to bomb, such that you will kill just enough to half-kill the Battalion, plus maybe one or two more for insurance. Then have at them. You will know more about what you still need to destroy once you have conducted your first attack. Yes it's dependent a little on luck, but then isn't everything?, and these tactics at least guarantee that you won't take any damage, at least in the battle zone. And if the 1A Battallion is in your Transit or Rear areas, or worse, at least being half-killed they stand a chance of retreating, especially in the General War scenario. There is no better feeling than seeing these buggers high-tailing it off into the sunset following a good whupping.

You can always finish the job on a later turn; these guys are much easier when half-killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update, yesterday evening I attacked this Battalion successfully using these tactics. It did take two raids, and cost me an SO point because by the second raid they were in my Rear Area (they moved there even as a halfed Battalion, the gits) but I did get them good and proper.

Two raids for 5VP isn't bad, considering that many targets are only 2 or 3 VP anyway.

The initial fast-jet attack worked really well - a Harrier, an F-16 and an MQ-1 used as above. Tore them a new one, then disengaged, and returned next day to finish the job, this time with three Cobras added into the mix (I had to make sure of them; you can't half-kill an already half-killed Battalion.)

But yes, these tactics worked.

Wiped them out.

All of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.