Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms40nd4pmcf9ide/Clanwars%20Rules.p...

Parts:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ouuq35ekxvrskq/Clanwars%20Parts.p...

The goal here is to boil Shogun down into less than an hour (ideally 30-45minutes), and capture the essence of the game. If you ask me the essence is the action selection mechanic and the balancing act of securing money and food for your army while not over taxing the peasants and causing a revolt. Not to mention the politics this naturally creates.

If you ask others, it's the tower and really just the tower.

I haven't worked out how to "capture" the essence as I see it, but it's coming along (shrinking down the map to fewer territories, changing the scoring rules and reducing the number of actions per turn are all starts). However, I have worked out the tower.

The Tin (which is this game's version of the tower)

The game files will include a sticker sized to fit into the bottom of an altoids tin. The game will use "cube drops" into this tin to resolve conflict, and preserve the essential feature of the Shogun tower (that it devours and spits out cubes according to its own will).

This is what the tin might look like between combat resolution:

This tin has a few green cubes, a white cube and some blue and red cubes lounging around in it. After combat resolves you will put the lid back on the tin, so that players (partially) rely on intuitions and memory, instead of visual inspection, to estimate the contents of the tin.

However, once a combat starts (or peasants revolt) you grab up all the cubes in the tin, combine that with the cubes entering combat (a few red and a few blue in this case) then drop the whole pile back into the tin (holding your hand over the middle of the diamond area).

The cubes in the middle are counted for combat resolution (as if they dropped out of the tower in Shogun), and the rest remain in the tin for the next combat.

Moving Ahead
I need to get my hands on the game rules for starters. I've played it a bunch but that was a few years ago, and I've since moved away from the friend who owns the game. If anyone wouldn't mind scanning me the rules, I'd be happy to provide you a copy of the Express Game when it's done (altoids tin included only if I can ever find one myself, I may have to PnP a paper replacement).

Until then, I'm designing on memory and intuition (as if I were trying to estimate the contents of the tower before deciding where to attack).

I want to keep Peasant Revolts, the action selection mechanic, feeding your armies and building shrines. All of these mechanics can be "microsized" but the real challenge will be streamlining which will have to happen when I turn to the Express version's scoring mechanic and how progress through the seasons will be represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
(altoids tin included only if I can ever find one myself, I may have to PnP a paper replacement).

How about this?
Electronics company had them made because of the popularity of the Altoids tin for use in electronics kits. Will this tin fit the contect's requirements?
http://www.adafruit.com/products/97#Technical%20Details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigDumbYak wrote:
Candi wrote:
(altoids tin included only if I can ever find one myself, I may have to PnP a paper replacement).

How about this?
Electronics company had them made because of the popularity of the Altoids tin for use in electronics kits. Will this tin fit the contect's requirements?
http://www.adafruit.com/products/97#Technical%20Details

That's perfect! In fact, better than perfect because it is plain silver and not covered in Altoids labeling (so I can make some stickers to apply to the tin as well)!

You should post a link to that site in the In A Tin contest thread: "In-A-Tin" / "Express" Print-and-Play Design Contest - Discussion Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Instead of throwing the cubes, how about closing the tin with the cubes in it, shaking it, placing it on the table, and then opening it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
Instead of throwing the cubes, how about closing the tin with the cubes in it, shaking it, placing it on the table, and then opening it?

That was the original mechanic that spurred this idea. The reason for cube drop is several fold:

1) It's effectively random
2) You don't have to worry about the opening of the tin disturbing where the cubes landed
3) You don't have problems with too many cubes in the tin preventing them from changing position much at all (it was this problem, that someone mentioned in the contest thread when discussing the tin-shake mechanic, that got me onto this path).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't have the rulebook (I did locate a friend with the game however). In the meantime I've put together the game board (based, again, on the memory of playing Shogun and also examining the game board). It will definitely play 2 players, but I'm hoping 3 (hence the three colours). The top is the score track, along the bottom is the action order (note that there are only 5 here compared to 10 in the full game). On the right side is the rice supply track.

The board also decomposes into 4 tiles, so that it fits into the tin!

Now to print it out, verify size, try piling up some cubes on it (unlike Shogun I hope for a "large army" to be 3-4 cubes as some of those spaces will realistically only hold 1 or 2 before over crowding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

I spent all day making the rest of the bits to see how the game would feel if it was "tin-sized". Suffice to say, the board needs to be at least 2x larger to fit enough cubes in each space comfortably. You would need tweezers to play! Especially since I planned to use a cube for the shrines instead of more tokens)

So, it will be Shogun Express with a Tin indeed. I'm not sacrificing playability and fun for compact size.

That said, I'm nearly ready to test (or write the rules up in any case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've doubled the map size in all proportions, so it will be reasonable to pile up cubes and the game will not require tweezers to play.

To show off some more of the bits I've made here's a sampling below:

On the bottom is the current draft of the player board with a track for recording how many chests you have (your gold/currency). These boards will be revised to be a bit larger, and to have (like Shogun) a summary reference for the stats of the various provinces. The six actions on the board are (from top left to bottom right): Bid on Turn Order, Pay 1 Chest to build a Shrine, Tax Province, Pay 2 Chests to Build 2 Army Cubes, Pay 1 Chest to Build 1 Army Cube and move any number of Armies from this provinces to an adjacent province and Attack.

Sitting on top of the board are a few sample province tokens. When you control a province you take its token, and assign it to your board to specify its action during the round. Each province can be taxed for a different amount of chests, rice and is worth a different number of points at the end of each season (icons on the bottom).

In the top right is a sample of the Action Tokens, which will be used to randomly determine the order the five actions you can take are performed in each round.

Finally, the black box is a mock-up of the Season Die. Each Season you roll the die for an effect that applies to all players for that season (the side showing makes Provinces with Torii shrines more resistant, granting the defender an extra army cube).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!
This is brilliant!
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this look !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a solo 3 player game to stress test the mechanics and it holds together. I need to hone the 2player rules before I start properly writing up and formatting them. Shouldn't be much longer, and it's really solid (it ought to be, since it's essentially just Shogun scaled down with a few tweaks here and there).

I have changed the board a bit and the player boards entirely since "upsizing" the whole thing:

In the bottom right of the board there are 2 new things - the rice penalty track and the season number slots. Each round you roll the Season Die to see what global effect (some positive, some negative) applies for the season, one of those faces shoes Rice -1. Whenever this face comes up you increment the rice penalty track and reroll the die (if it comes up a second time you increment the rice penalty but do not reroll - there is not season effect that round). To track what season it is you place the die under the corresponding number.

At the end of the third season you reduce all players rice by the rice penalty, then each player feeds provinces (and has revolts if they can't). Players then score 1 point per province (three of the provinces are worth 2 points) and 1 point per Torii Shrines they control.

For those wanting to build this the components are (in addition to printing the tiles and boards which I will put up soon):

8 White 8mm Cubes (Peasant Cubes)
6 Red 8mm Cubes (Torii Shrine)
16 Purple 8mm Cubes*
16 Green 8mm Cubes*
16 Yellow 8mm Cubes*
2 Purple 15mm Discs
2 Yellow 15mm Discs
2 Green 15mm Discs
1 Grey 15mm Disc
1 Black Indented Dice
~3in x 3in square tin (or walled container)***

*These are the maximum number of cubes the game will require, I'm still testing to find out if this many is really necessary. I expect it to come down, but if you have 21 you'll be golden.

***I found one of these at Solutions (a container store local to me, It's a chain though so there may be one near you!). I will also be including a sticker for an Altoids Tin, so if you can't get a square tin an Altoids tin (or similar) will work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice work here! The graphics are fantastic. Looks like it is going to be a tight fit in a tin. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
Really nice work here! The graphics are fantastic. Looks like it is going to be a tight fit in a tin. thumbsup

It's not going in a tin The original version was, but the game board was so small that it was impossible to play without tweezers! It's an Express entry (based on Shogun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:

It's not going in a tin The original version was, but the game board was so small that it was impossible to play without tweezers! It's an Express entry (based on Shogun).

Yeah, yeah, I can see that this one is best out of a tin. No sense in limiting the gameplay simply to make it small enough to fit a size restrictions.

I have never played Shogun, but this has sparked my interest. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I love the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:

I have never played Shogun, but this has sparked my interest. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I love the theme.

I can say with great confidence that if you print, play and find yourself liking this game you owe it to yourself to go out and buy Shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how much I love this!!!
Can't you split the board and tape it from behind?
I'd carve my own 4-5 mm stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
I can't tell you how much I love this!!!
Can't you split the board and tape it from behind?
I'd carve my own 4-5 mm stuff

The board will be 2 parts (about 15inches long). I still think you'd need tweezers to play with 4-5mm bits, but if you want it *that* bad it's not too much more work for me to provide a "tiny" version that conceivably fits in a tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a playtest and a brilliant idea for representing Torii Shrine destruction (that isn't possible with the tower, but is with the cube drop!). The 6 15mm Red discs are now 6 8mm red cubes.

Shrines are cubes (just like armies) and when their province is contested you drop the shrine cube with the rest of it. If the shrine cube is in the middle zone the shrine is returned to its province, otherwise its returned to the supply.

Also, the back cube count is coming down to 8 (from 10) and the purple, yellow and green count is down to 16 (from 21).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanwars Rules are now available! Probably a bit more verbose than it needs to be, but I hope they are clear (even though they are not concise).

Please read them and let me know if it's confusing anywhere, there are any typos or if specific examples or diagrams would be good additions (although, only if absolutely necessary, as it is already 8 pages for an express game!)

Component files should be up by Sunday (if they aren't then I won't be able to get them up by contest deadline, so that should is a "will be")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanwars Components

And there she is, Contest Ready. Updating the geeklist, posting to the final submission and hopefully I'll get a copy built myself and a photo up before August
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update. I had a brilliant expansion idea just now, that I will develop and release when I add the BGG entry (post-contest). The idea is to add Shinobi to the mix (Ninja's).

There will be an additional side board on which the Shinobi Black Cubes are stored as well as Shinobi Tokens. Players can, in some way, hire Shinobi during the action phase (maybe as an alternative to placing an army cube you can get a Shinobi Token). Whenever a player gains a Shinobi Token, a black cube is added to the tin.

During combat against other players (Shinobi do not get involved in subduing peasant revolts), black cubes are considered active (and are removed from the tin with the cubes of the attacker and defender that land in the middle). Then, to determine whose side they count for, the attacker and defender blind bid their Shinobi tokens (with ties going to the defender).

Whoever wins the blind bid treats the Shinobi as aiding their side, and you eliminate 1 enemy cube and return all active black cubes to the Shinobi Clan Board. If only one player bid, then each black cube eliminates an enemy cube; otherwise only 1 enemy cube is eliminated regardless of the number of black cubes. Then, resolve combat as usual (pair up the remaining active defender and attacker cubes and return those to their supplies, with the unpaired cubes 'surviving').

Additionally, when the first scoring round ends every player (except the leader) will get free Shinobi tokens (and cause black cubes to enter the tin). So the player in second place gets 1, and the player in third places gets 2.

This should add another dimension to combat, and give players a bit of control over the outcome (and a powerful tool to minimize casualties).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.