Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!
I' m not so good in history( but trying to know more...
If we try to apply victory conditions of the game (count keys and maybe pacts if we can) to real history, which nation could be called The Winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Perfidious Albion.

Russia didn't win that much and certainly didn't have any pacts.
Neither did Prussia or Austria.
France definitely didn't win.

That means Britain wins by default.

EDIT: Ah, by points. Harder to do, because who had resources?

Britain:
+ Brussels
+ Hanover
+ Rome
+ Milan
+ Spain Pact
+ Sweden Pact
+1 resource (gained in spain combat)

Austria
+ Munich

France
- Brussels
-Rome
-Milan
-Munich
- Nassau
-Lublin

Prussia
+ Nassau
- Hannover
+ 1 Resource (Paris conquest)

Russia:
+ Warsaw
+ Nystadt
+ Lublin
+1 Resource (2x Emperor Commands)
+ Danish Pact

Sweden
-Nystadt
+ Christiana

Denmark
- Christiana

Spain
No Change

Turkey
No Change, not in a pact
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Bielefeldt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'd agree it's Britain. The Napoleonic Wars ushered in an era of British dominance in Europe until the start of WWI. It was called Pax Brittanica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
Definitely Britain. The defeat of Napoleon was no "false dawn" like the triumph of Britain in the Seven Years' War. Her strength lie in the economy and navy. In addition, none of the powers sought to actively defeat Britain (or really anyone else). So there were no leagues of armed neutrality and new separate alliances. The conservatives were now sick of war and to their credit saw value in peace. In the case of France relations improved, and from time to time the two called themselves allies, even before 1914.

The first holes appeared with the Crimean War and Indian mutiny. At which point Britain's status as the greatest power ended is debatable, but it occurred somewhere between 1901-1921.

Russia was certainly second place, which is perhaps why a rivalry sprang up between Russia and Britain. It only came to blows once, being manifested more in competition over imperial expansion, with diplomacy as the weapon of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
As to points, I would make this adjustment to the above.

Britain
+ 2 Resource (Spain and Waterloo)

Austria
+ Munich
+ Rome
+ Milan

Russia
+ 1 Resource (Paris conquest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wanted to give the Waterloo resource to Prussia, but I guess it belongs to Britain

Rome & Milan I gave to Britain, because I had no idea what allegiance Italy would have post-Napoleon. Now that I remember Solferino and Napoleon III's fights against Austrian Italy, I should have remembered.

I didn't give Russia a resource for the conquest for Paris because I was not aware they got too much plunder out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Tegarend wrote:
I didn't give Russia a resource for the conquest for Paris because I was not aware they got too much plunder out of it?
Call it a political bonus for entering the city first in 1814. No one really plundered Paris at anyrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:

Russia:
+ Warsaw
+ Nystadt
+ Lublin
+1 Resource (2x Emperor Commands)
+ Danish Pact

Sweden
-Nystadt
+ Christiana
Why a Danish pact with Russia?

Sweden didn't take Norway, they became independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your answers guys. It looks very interesting!

And really why Danish pact with Russia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Sweden gaining Christiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_between_Sweden_and_Norwa...
Yeah, norway is independent, but what is was (personal union under Bernadotte) is close enough to pact ally to count as one)

regarding Danish pact with Russia - I guess I wanted them with one of the coalition powers (and not Prussia nor Austria not Britain) . Neutral is probably better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Regarding Sweden gaining Christiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_between_Sweden_and_Norwa...
Yeah, norway is independent, but what is was (personal union under Bernadotte) is close enough to pact ally to count as one)

regarding Danish pact with Russia - I guess I wanted them with one of the coalition powers (and not Prussia nor Austria not Britain) . Neutral is probably better.
Well, the Royal Navy more or less sank the Danish fleet in 1801 because they feared that Denmark might join France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, that's why I wanted them not with Britain .

You can't argue that in 1815 they were still "almost French" ... yes, in 1813 they sent an army to help Napoleon ... in 1815 they were decidely out of the French camp. Probably Neutral...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly in the game's terms Russia won it.

Russia +5: Nystadt, Paris, Paris-Resource, Picardy, Zurich.

Austria +3: Rome, Milan, Munich.

Britain +3: Pacts with Spain & Sweden. Toulouse.

Prussia +2: Brussels, Nassau.

Even if Zurich is flagged Austrian, Russia still wins by the reverse-movement track order tie-breaker.

See Levien's great book, Russia Against Napoleon, for an astonishing look at the critical role of Russia in defeating Napoleon. Think about it. Less than two years after Napoleon invaded Russia, Russian officers were snapping their fingers at Parisian waiters, "Vistro!" or whatever Russian for "Quick!" is.

Historically, Britain was the strategic winner, thwarting France's bid to rule the continent, and keeping His Majesty's colonial winnings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John is right. Alexander was the great power in Europe at the peace conference. He sided with Prussia in the negotiations, and those two were the biggest winners on the continent. Austria had to side with Britain and the weakened new monarchist France to balance those, but when Russia and Prussia were allied they were unstoppable on the continent (with France down etc). Poland was the big loser from that, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls