Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
we still have new games waiting to be played for the first time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A culture of consumption

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
The fear of the obscure titles we covet going out of print forever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Addiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Because I played WoW for 8 months and had to get the boardgame to re-live my past wasted life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you can never have enough wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much time on BGG and not enough time playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane martin
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Because the game(s) was soo good you are afraid it will go out of print when you finally have time to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pen sa tor
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"he fear of the obscure titles we covet going out of print forever..."

Exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been asking myself the same question recently. It's probably the same reason that I have a stack of unbeaten PS2 and XBox games (four or five of which are still in shrink).

I think we're hoarding for some imagined "snowy day" where we'll have nothing but time and friends nearby to play all these games. "Better buy them up, just in case!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing that drives dragons to lay on beds of gold coin that they cannot spend. Greed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do we buy clothes we never wear?
Why do we buy books we never read?
Why do we buy movies we never watch?
Why do we buy music we never listen to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) So we can greedily say to our friends, "Look what I just got in the mail today!"

2.) So we can charge rent deposits on our games when friends want to borrow them for a gaming session.

3.) So we won't kick ourselves later for telling ourselves we should have gotten them when they were available.

4.) So we won't have to engage in bidding wars on Ebay.

5.) All the pretty artwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sale! Soldes! Uitverkoop! 20%! 40%! Helft van de helft! Discount! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I've been asking myself the same question recently. It's probably the same reason that I have a stack of unbeaten PS2 and XBox games (four or five of which are still in shrink).

I think we're hoarding for some imagined "snowy day" where we'll have nothing but time and friends nearby to play all these games. "Better buy them up, just in case!"

Exactly. I have an ungodly amount of unplayed video games, and as I bought each one, knowing it might be forever until I played it, I had memories of the snow days and lazy long weekends of my childhood where I could sit in front of the NES all day, or get my little brother and break out Talisman and all the expansions. I've always liked to have options available for any given mood or situation. To that end my collections of most anything get excessive. The thing with boardgames is that if I had a regular group, or simply more gamers that I was aware of in my area, more games would certainly be played. I have the time, I just don't have the opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are better games than the ones we have unplayed. Also they may fill different niches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this straight, many of you play boardgames and are addicted to collecting them and the same holds true for video games? Where do you find that amount of time?

Oh, I forgot, I hold down two jobs

Boardgaming is a hobby that thrives on the novel, and each new game promises (in our own minds) to be the greatest of all gaming experiences that will surely rekindle and fan the flames of enthusiasm and joy, which we then can share with others and realize geek agape.

One of my best friends that I hunt and shoot clay sports with as well has a long history of trading shotguns. It is never long before he grows discontented with what he has, but he is sure that the gun he is yet to own that has captured his fancy will be the ultimate end-all and be-all for him. It never is.

This is what bothers me most about game collecting: With each new game acquisition that is a "winner" means that I will ultimately play my older games less. There is only so much table-time, and that saddens me.

Gg

"Each game of chess means there's one less
variation left to be played."

Chess the Musical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_the_goon wrote:
Exactly. I have an ungodly amount of unplayed video games, and as I bought each one, knowing it might be forever until I played it, I had memories of the snow days and lazy long weekends of my childhood where I could sit in front of the NES all day, or get my little brother and break out Talisman and all the expansions. I've always liked to have options available for any given mood or situation. To that end my collections of most anything get excessive. The thing with boardgames is that if I had a regular group, or simply more gamers that I was aware of in my area, more games would certainly be played. I have the time, I just don't have the opponents.

It's the cruel trick of life. As a kid, you had all the time in the world to play games, but you had wash cars / deliver papers / beg your parents for weeks to get a new one.

As an adult, you have more money coming in than you ever dreamed of as a child. (And the chance to spend at least some of it on games!) The one thing you can't buy, however, is time to play them shake

Oh well, I get to retire in thirty years or so. Maybe I'll catch up then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
ok i was in denial, but i suppose it is addiction! blush

I like getting new games because I like the anticipation of receiving a new game! I actually countdown the days until the ups guy delivers it! Then there's the OPENING factor! Taking off the shrinkwrap and discovering the compenents of the game! Ooooo fun! how weird is that??!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naked desire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, it's a simple question of finances. Birthday $ or Christmas $ or income tax refund - guess I'll buy a game (yeah, money's tight - I only buy a few games a year).

This time around, tax refund $ coincided with Wal-Mart's clearance sale of Blood Feud in New York City for $20. I'm placing my order tonight... (while I'm on the subject, guess I should mention that I'm not all that thrilled about purchasing from Wal-Mart. Not that I'm entirely anti Wal-Mart, but I'd rather support my local hobby shop. Went to my local store yesterday and they were selling it for $50. I told the proprieter about the clearance at Wal-Mart and offered to negotiate a price with him ((I was thinking $35 or so)), but the guy wasn't interested. What do I do? Guess it all comes down to Finances...)

As far as the negative comments about buying games (greed, addiction, compulsive shopping disorder...), I think that's all a bunch of bologna. I don't consider a game purchase to be money wasted, even for folks who buy way too much. The money spent on games is, IMHO, better than dropping $50 or $100 on adult films, drinking binges, new shoes when you already have 50 friggin pairs in the closet and under the bed, and et cetera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
Zordren wrote:

As far as the negative comments about buying games (greed, addiction, compulsive shopping disorder...), I think that's all a bunch of bologna. I don't consider a game purchase to be money wasted, even for folks who buy way too much. The money spent on games is, IMHO, better than dropping $50 or $100 on adult films, drinking binges, new shoes when you already have 50 friggin pairs in the closet and under the bed, and et cetera.

Well sure, when you compare it to all those things, then sure... it's a great hobby... and games are SO enjoyable and they make you laugh, think, strategize... these are all wonderful things... but the question arose from my tendancy to get new games before the current ones have been played! It is sort of an addiction - so a limit of some sort should be set... like no more games unless it's majorly discounted!!!

(p.s.- there's nothing wrong with 50 pairs of shoes in the closet!!!) hehehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that when I don't have time to actually play the games that I have, then I tend to buy more games.

Kinda as a substitute for playing I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinslayer wrote:
I find that when I don't have time to actually play the games that I have, then I tend to buy more games.

Kinda as a substitute for playing I guess.

That is so TOTALLY true!!!

BTW, your avatar ROCKS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.