Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Okay ... so I've been reading and re-reading the section about who wins an individual combat.

It seems very straightforward. The attacker wins on a +1 or better result.

HOWEVER ...

It gets more complicated when it's a group attack against multiple positions.

The rulebook, to me, reads as though:

If the attacker wins ANY SINGLE position they win the combat in BOTH.

However ... then there's parallel wording for the defender so I think I just need someone else to give me a ruling on it because I'm overthinking it perhaps..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
...with the caveat that a group attack that includes an attack against an empty position can't get a win out of the empty position (there was no actual combat there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Okay ... so I've been reading and re-reading the section about who wins an individual combat.

It seems very straightforward. The attacker wins on a +1 or better result.

HOWEVER ...

It gets more complicated when it's a group attack against multiple positions.

The rulebook, to me, reads as though:

There is a difference between winning close combat in a position and winning the attack as a whole. A single attack can result in zero, one, or two instances of close combat. (Zero when the attacker is eliminated by defensive artillery.)

When there is one instance of close combat, the winner of close combat is the winner of the attack as a whole.

When there are two instances of close combat, the attacker wins the attack as a whole by winning at least one of the two instances of close combat. Nothing more to it than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In the case of an attacker winning a single close combat of the two, that would result in mandatory withdrawal for BOTH defensive positions correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am waiting for the game, I am building a Flow Chart. I must say there are a lot of if`s hidden around. Too often I must go back and modify by inserting a text block.

If it works, I will upload it for verification and hopefully a useful tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
While I am waiting for the game, I am building a Flow Chart. I must say there are a lot of if`s hidden around. Too often I must go back and modify by inserting a text block.

You did it too! It's contagious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
In the case of an attacker winning a single close combat of the two, that would result in mandatory withdrawal for BOTH defensive positions correct?
At the start of the defender's subsequent Action phase, the defender has to withdraw if there is a winning attacking block that:

- occupies the same position as the defender, or
- is in an adjacent position to the defender, or
- has the defender's rear area as one of its field of fire areas.

So, yes, assuming the attacking block survived the attack, then any of your blocks that fall under the above situations must withdraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
medlinke wrote:

Yes. As would all other friendly units in positions that were adjacent to the successfully attacked positions.

See section 14 (Withdrawal Moves) on page 11. 2nd bullet of Mandatory Withdrawals:

At the start of your action phase, your block must withdraw if
there is an enemy block that attacked and won in your opponent's
most recent action phase that: (1) occupies the same position
as your block, or (2) is in an adjacent position to your block,
or (3) has your block's rear area as one of its field of fire areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

that would Great. Please hurry up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
eker wrote:

that would Great. Please hurry up

Was going to play Monopoly solitaire. But since you are in hurry I will give this priority. Finished Attack this weekend - no doubt the hardest part. What is left are Mandatory Withdrawal and Basic Movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E
msg tools
G Haggerty wrote:
medlinke wrote:

Yes. As would all other friendly units in positions that were adjacent to the successfully attacked positions.

See section 14 (Withdrawal Moves) on page 11. 2nd bullet of Mandatory Withdrawals:

At the start of your action phase, your block must withdraw if
there is an enemy block that attacked and won in your opponent's
most recent action phase that: (1) occupies the same position
as your block, or (2) is in an adjacent position to your block,
or (3) has your block's rear area as one of its field of fire areas.

So this could result in quite a "chain reaction" of Mandatory Withdrawals by units not attacked, is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.