Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Discgolf board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is like 300 board games with golf theme.

But is there any with a discgolf (frisbeegolf) theme?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the distances involved, what would change in a boardgame implementation of discgolf, compared to a boardgame implementation of regular golf?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a PnP for one somewhere on BGG. I know that I've seen it. Someone who is better than I am at finding things on here should dig it up.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it myself!

[WIP] Ace in the Chains: A Disc Golf Board Game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Other than the distances involved, what would change in a boardgame implementation of discgolf, compared to a boardgame implementation of regular golf?

A big difference between the two games in general (aside from distances) is that the terrain/lie doesn't matter at all in disc golf. The wind, on the other hand, matters much more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about terrain. Some courses are just lonely trail full of trees. And if you don't respect the Tree gods, they might take away that favorite disc you always like throwing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Other than the distances involved, what would change in a boardgame implementation of discgolf, compared to a boardgame implementation of regular golf?

A big difference between the two games in general (aside from distances) is that the terrain/lie doesn't matter at all in disc golf. The wind, on the other hand, matters much more.


The discgolf lie only matters when you end up in the pricker bushes! shake

...or as I did this weekend, land on a nest of yellow jackets. Fortunately, I only got stung once AND got my disc back.

Thanks for the link to the PnP game, I didn't know about this! I'll have to check that out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phasmtis wrote:
I dunno about terrain. Some courses are just lonely trail full of trees. And if you don't respect the Tree gods, they might take away that favorite disc you always like throwing.

Sure... I just meant that sand, deep rough, etc. has no impact on the shot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the one working on that PnP game. There are no others that I can find anywhere, either on BGG or via Google. I found one disc golf forum that had a group of people discussing starting one up, but they never updated, and it was years ago, so I assume it's dead.

Regarding the difference between disc golf and ball golf in a board game implementation, in disc golf you have a greater degree of control over the flight path of your disc, allowing you to curve around trees and do things that aren't possible in traditional golf. Though my game is designed to be a degree or two more abstract than say some of Avalon Hill's old sports designs, I've tried to preserve that feel of finding an awesome route curving between a couple trees and the water--and of course the possibility of botching the shot and ending up in the drink.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been working on a dexterity disc golf game!, flicking a small disc into a small basket using plastic ramp's. still in design.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I experimented a little with dexterity using some Sorry! Sliders boards, but it was more abstract than you're thinking probably. Basically your disc's position on the main board was determined by how successfully you flicked on the Sliders board relative to your target. I didn't get very far with it, and it didn't really differentiate itself from regular golf at all. By all means go for it on your design and post when you need play testing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not golf, but ultimate
Ultimate
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

I have been working on a dexterity disc golf game!, flicking a small disc into a small basket using plastic ramp's. still in design.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea?


Sounds like it could be a cool variant/expansion for either crokinole or Pitchcar. Go for it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
I experimented a little with dexterity using some Sorry! Sliders boards, but it was more abstract than you're thinking probably. Basically your disc's position on the main board was determined by how successfully you flicked on the Sliders board relative to your target. I didn't get very far with it, and it didn't really differentiate itself from regular golf at all. By all means go for it on your design and post when you need play testing.


I was thinking on using "movable" Mini trees and basket, a "big" board with a backer, to catch flying disc's, A ramp "such as a hot wheels ramp to keep the disc from flying off the side's, also wind condition cards, As for elevation im kinda stuck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Other than the distances involved, what would change in a boardgame implementation of discgolf, compared to a boardgame implementation of regular golf?

A big difference between the two games in general (aside from distances) is that the terrain/lie doesn't matter at all in disc golf. The wind, on the other hand, matters much more.


Not trying to make an argument, because I understand what you're saying. However, terrain can have a significant impact. If your disc is in thigh-high rough, it gives no chance to run up or step into the shot. If your disc is on rocky terrain, a slope, rut or pile of branches, lack of stable footing can easily lead to a bad shot. It would be interesting to see courses add more intentional terrain obstacles.

Not really a board game comment - sorry.

gulp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh. and you would actually be flicking the disc in the air!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.