Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 1

When we played this the first time, Lannister made some tactical errors in his first turn, and quickly lost most of his pikemen. He did not make the same error this time, but just moved his units below the fords into stalwart formation.

He had the Pikemen in defensive formation, so they would make their counterattacks against my cavalry with 6 dice. Still I saw no alternative to an outright attack - Stark has to break through and/or eliminate units to win. And despite the 6 dice, the pikemen still needed red to hit my cavalry, and if I managed to score two hits, they would already be at reduced strength. So I might lose a figure to the first counterattack, but my second flanking attack would certainly eliminate the first pikemen unit.

I did not work that way. I ordered three (two red cavalry + Robb), scored no hits on my first attack, lost 2 figures to the counterattack, did a flanking attack with the second cavalry unit, which scored two hits, but took one hit and two morale on the counterattack, sending them back beyond the fort, effectively blocking my remaining forces. Robb managed to weaken Daven's unit, but lost a figure in turn.

Things looked bleak for me after only two turns: one red cavalry almost down, the rest of my units blocked from the action. What saved my was a very clever plan by Lannister: he ordered Gregor to set fire to the hex in my direction, and would have used his commit ability to spread it onto my cavalry. But Gregor had trouble telling flint from tinder (or whatever) and failed setting the fire.

Luckily, I had drawn a reactivate all card, and used that on my turn. Having failed with the fire, Lannister now eliminated my lone rider with a normal attack. I in turn rode back onto the ford, and eliminated his pikemen.

At the end of the round, my catapults failed to hit anything.

Round 2

Heavy combat on the fords - Lannister eliminated my second red cavalry, I eliminate some infantry and pikemen, and near the end of the round Rickard rides down, and uses his commit ability to reactivate himself and Robb. Robb forgoes an attack and just rides down into Lannister territory, to get at control markers and easy targets. Rickard takes Robb's place on the ford.

Meanwhile Gregor lays a fire, though at this point I'm not sure what Lannister hopes to accomplish.

Round 3

Ok, I see what Lannister had in mind: Gregor lays a second fire, and uses his commit ability. Ford effectively sealed off. With red infantry and Daven holding the ford for Lannister, Robb is on his own.

I have two morale tokens, and can reactivate Robb after getting my first control marker. But the tricksy little Lannister infantry he attacks next is still active and uses Withdrawal - I always forget about that. Costs me one turn.

At the end of the round, luck is on my side, and Death from Above rains down on the Lannister heavy infantry, eliminating them. This turns the tide at the fords - I would not have had a chance to eliminate them the hard way.

Round 4

Robb captures another control marker, and Rickard gets the one near the ford. I end up winning with 8-5 points. Without my catapult hit, the game would have been very close - we're not sure who would have won in that case.

Final board:

Session statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was great to read, thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Gregor in his flaming version, there is such a great tactical value to fire! The last picture even shows me setting the objective on fire to prevent Rob from easily getting it.

Though i lost again, i feel this was a great session, and in fact very close.
(If the catapult had not killed my heavy infantry and if they had hold the ford, we would have had 6 victory points each. I did better this time for sure )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
I love Gregor in his flaming version, there is such a great tactical value to fire! The last picture even shows me setting the objective on fire to prevent Rob from easily getting it.

Right - I forgot to mention that.

Fire is very powerful in BoW. Only the the fact that it affects both sides and thus might backfire onto the firebug makes it tolerable

Makes me wonder if we might get some improved firefighting ability in an expansion - that should also help in dealing with dragons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.