Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a dozen 2player games of ES and... We've never lost
Only once did we have to battle Cthlhu (and we defeated him...)

I'm 99,99% sure e follow the rules correctly (I've read them again and again searching for errors we might have made, finding none)

We like the game all right anyway, but when Salem (for instance) is hard to the extreme to beat, it seems tha ES is far too easy.

Well, I have to add that the same happened to us with Pandemic even in hardcore mode (but we lost twoce in Pandemic though)...

I wonder if those games are not meant to be harder with more players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seemingly, most people who find this game too easy include house rules.. here are a few (you can include all or a combination thereof):

1) No purchasing Elder Signs at the entrance (the expansion implements this already - so it's a good practice to implement this rule even when not playing with the expansion).

2) When an investigator is devoured, that player is removed from the game entirely.

3) Advance the clock 4 or 5 hours, instead of only 3.

4) Customize your mythos deck to include only the hard ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good summary of sensible house rules. My wife loves the game, but I feel like the illusion is fading as we win every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the easiness of the game has to do with utter flexibility with regards to movement, and monster distribution/appearance.

For instance, Ghost Stories is also very much a dice-based game, but in it the movement across tiles is rigid, as you can only travel to adjacent squares.(unless you're playing with the flying Red Taoist)

Maybe it would be a good idea to play out the game as a map variant:
1)Assemble the 6 starting cards(put them face down first) as a 3X2 modular board, and connect one edge of it to the Entrance.

2)One at a time, flip the cards to reveal the board's layout for the game.

3)Generate a random monster on the first accommodating adventure card that is revealed at setup.

4)Each time after setup when an an accommodating adventure card is drawn, place a monster on it automatically.

5) Each time the clock strikes midnight, put a doom token on the doom track(in addition to any other effects applied by the newly drawn Mythos card).

On each of their turns, players may only travel to any adjacent Adventure card, and if they ever wish to turn in trophies for rewards at the Entrance, they must travel there physically from one of the Adventure cards adjacent to the edge of the "map".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Being a dice rolling-based game, luck does factor in to winning/losing.
Currently, I have won 1 out of 19 games.
My other friends win about 50% of the times they have played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Seemingly, most people who find this game too easy include house rules.. here are a few (you can include all or a combination thereof):

1) No purchasing Elder Signs at the entrance (the expansion implements this already - so it's a good practice to implement this rule even when not playing with the expansion).

2) When an investigator is devoured, that player is removed from the game entirely.

3) Advance the clock 4 or 5 hours, instead of only 3.

4) Customize your mythos deck to include only the hard ones.

I think we actually purchased ES at the souvenir shop only twice...

The other three methods seem relevant. Actually we TRY to play using method 2, instictively. And we won that way most of the time (makes the game really harder and more interesting though)

The fact is... Yeah: I hate house ruling. I wish there were a really hardcore "official" expansion for this game. And it seems that the current one doesn't really change the game's difficulty.

Not saying it really is easy-peasy. But it feels like if played right you would hardly have any risk of losing.

On the contrary, I think Ghost stories is much too hard and luck dependant (some ghost combos can be over-frustrating)

Pandemic is the best coop game IMO, buut its qualities make its flaw: with less luck it becomes very easy to beat if you play correctly.

Maybe I should buy Space Alert back whistle
Now that's hell on earth to beat. But, in truth, we sold it because it was ruining our couple

All in all Salem remains the best "difficulty per fun" value...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
When we first played this game we won 100%. We had a few very tiny issues wrong with the rules, but they made a huge difference. Mostly dice timing/focusing.

Now we have it correct, we win about 70%.

However once we had the correct rules, we have never once won if the GOO woke up. I just cannot see how you could, so you may have something wrong there with the rules? Some of the GOO fights are very hard indeed. Hastur for example, last time I played, even though we tried to keep the monster population down, when he woke he needed Skull + Scroll + 7 Clues to damage him!! Pretty impossible on 6 green dice and with no focusing or assisting allowed.

Finally, the game's difficulty drops considerably with the addition of each investigator beyond the first. Worth noting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
When we first played this game we won 100%. We had a few very tiny issues wrong with the rules, but they made a huge difference. Mostly dice timing/focusing.

Can you give examples?

Quote:
Finally, the game's difficulty drops considerably with the addition of each investigator beyond the first. Worth noting.

I'd disagree. 1-investigator games are the majority of my plays and I've found them easier than 2-inv games (haven't played with 3+). Mostly because everything builds up on that one investigator, from trophies and items. Especially now that shopping has been upped in speed, a single investigator can hoard up trophies to the point where you could spend a day just shopping (no buying ES anymore, so no need to save up so much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.