Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject says. I'd even go for something that is 2 player as long as the rules are on the lighter side so that it can be readily taught to another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. Excellent solo game. Rules are dense BUT once a player understands them it is far easier to explain them to another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo/co-op games that look as awesome as they are to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 2-5 players, I'd get Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
As the subject says. I'd even go for something that is 2 player as long as the rules are on the lighter side so that it can be readily taught to another

Mage Knight is an amazing game(looks like you already have it), but the rules are a bit dense. I'd really recommend Agricola. It's pretty heavy, but plays very well 1 and up. It's similar to At the Gates of Loyang (which you have), but I feel it's quite a bit heavier, due to the need to feed your family in progressively shorter rounds.

If you're looking for something more Wargamey, I really like Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? and Andean Abyss. Both have solitaire rules, but they feel a tad bit mechanical when played solitaire (mainly because the other side(s) are run by AI flowcharts. Both are petty heavy, and ask the player to really choose between a large variety of options each turn (due to what cards are in hand/have been played, and the situation on hand). They're both asynchronous, which I think adds a ton.

really, though, play Mage Knight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Mage Knight is an amazing game(looks like you already have it), but the rules are a bit dense. I'd really recommend Agricola. It's pretty heavy, but plays very well 1 and up. It's similar to At the Gates of Loyang (which you have), but I feel it's quite a bit heavier, due to the need to feed your family in progressively shorter rounds.

If you're looking for something more Wargamey, I really like Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? and Andean Abyss. Both have solitaire rules, but they feel a tad bit mechanical when played solitaire (mainly because the other side(s) are run by AI flowcharts. Both are petty heavy, and ask the player to really choose between a large variety of options each turn (due to what cards are in hand/have been played, and the situation on hand). They're both asynchronous, which I think adds a ton.

really, though, play Mage Knight!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my collection of games and providing such an in depth recommendation. I have played Mage Knight a handful of times and feel that I'm starting to gain a firm grasp on the rules and structure of the game. I find it is enjoyable and am actually starting to enjoy it more now that my focus is less on whether I'm following the rules correctly. I'm sure there are still a few things I'm not doing completely right, but it isn't because of lack of effort.

Which expansions do you recommend for Agricola? I'm always a bit weary when a game has more than one or two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're looking for heavy then Tide of Iron is your man, or game. Doesn't work well with one player but that thing sure is heavy as a lead brick, with rocks tied to it.

Seriously though. I really enjoy A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, it's very easy and fairly simplistic but provides quite a bit of strategy once you get past its childish exterior.
It's also one of my favourite thematic games because it just have this really great rustique horror feel which is subtly enhanced by the semi-photographic graphics. It's hard to describe but it's like they mock the horror genre, a bunch of stereotypes and to some extent also classic fantasy roleplaying scenarios, but in a subtle way. Like one of my favourite cards which read something like "You find a shallow grave, it appears to have been disturbed recently. You stick your hand in the hole and...
Roll a D6
1-2 draw a card
4-6 you are bitten by something."

My friends compared it a lot to Arkham Horror, which is also a solo game btw, when we went through the rules the first time but after a full round they conceded that while it shared a lot of the basic premises with AH it was actually quite different.
Be advised though that the solo rules came with one of the big expansions. I would also recommend you not to play too much without expansions, the base game is somewhat limited and the extra maps give a lot of variety to a game if used at the same time.
The game also requires, I feel, some tweaking with house rules here and there but nothing more than many other games. But the rules in general is very well written compared to the, to be frank, completely worthless rules of some of the games in my collection.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

Which expansions do you recommend for Agricola? I'm always a bit weary when a game has more than one or two expansions.

I ended up getting a ton of decks for it, but I don't think they're necessary. They add more re playability due to a very large possible combinations of cards. The two that I would recommend getting are the Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, though it's not necessary to enjoy the game, it does add some fun things (new cards, spaces to get wood right from your farm board, new energy mechanic). If you get a version that doesn't have the Animeeples and Vegimeeples, I'd also recommend getting Agricola: The Goodies Expansion, but that's only for purely atheistic reasons. Your sheep look like sheep instead of little wooden white cubes. I believe the newer versions come with these. It also came with some stickers I'll never use, I really only got it for the wooden vegetables and animals. Having more decks is like having other possible decks to use for At the Gates of Loyang, though not AS important, because you don't cycle through the cards as fast (you have one hand each of minor improvements and jobs, and that's all you get for the game, basically). The base game comes with a very large number of cards that will keep you entertained for quite awhile. I'd recommend the Farmers of the Moor after you've played the base game some and are ready for adding in the new stuff. It really doesn't look like it, but it really can be a brain burner. You never have enough time to accomplish everything you need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
bbblasterfire wrote:

You can play Agricola perfectly fine without any of the expansions. Actually, there is only 1 big expansion "Farmers of the moor", which adds additional mechanics and resources. All others are additional decks of cards which just add to the already huge variety on improvement and job cards of the main game. In addition, some "deck" expansions are rather fun ones and don't offer an enhanced play experience.

I personally like to play with base game only more than with expansion. To me, the expansion offers too much choices in terms of actions and cards to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

Just noticed I missed this. Being a compulsive collector I have most of them and I seriously doubt I will ever get to play with all the decks, let alone all the cards.
Like the others say, Agricola: Farmers of the Moor is a real expansion with some new stuff but I would personally pick Agricola: The Goodies Expansion first. Not because it adds a whole lot of excitement but because it adds a whole lot of value to the gameplay.
Apart from the four smaller decks you get you also get two other items that are freely available in other forms and that are invaluable to speed things up. Stickers for the people so that you can see who is what, this is useful for beginners but doesn't add very much later on I feel. The second is real shaped tokens for everything.
The first of these i think is available via the BGG store and the second can be bought from different sources, Mayday Games, I think, even produce a custom kit for Agricola. These tokens really are invaluable to keep track of everything easily. They also work better with farmers on the moor which includes new tokens (horses if I recall), in proper shapes.

While you can get good decks here and there and you can certainly get good stickers and correctly shaped tokens, The Goodies also include one thing that I really enjoy. There are a selection of differently themed player boards that certainly does not add anything to the gameplay but I still enjoy, especially the Mars farm one. :-)

Compare The Goodies to buying the important stuff separate but if you can get it at a good price it's a nice quality bundle and the player boards are a nice bonus.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.