Hive: The Mosquito» Forums » General

Subject: Mosquito over confining game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question here, and I am curious what others think, is if the mosquito is limiting the potential future of Hive?

I tend to think the natural progression of Hive is more 'in-top-of-the-hive' play.

Currently only the beetle officially stays atop the hive, so the mosquito works since if it is on the hive it is a beetle.

But the mosquito is proving a problem for expansions (at least DIYs) including the much-developed dragonfly and my own humble flea.

We see John Yanni getting bolder with the Pillbug, so the future could hold more 'official' bugs, but even then to take a bug on top of the hive the question of what the mosquito is mimicking comes up.

So we see strange compromise ideas such as the mosquito can become a flea or dragonfly, but turns into a beetle on top of the hive, which lacks elegance or common sense.

Markers for the mosquito again lack elegance to such a nice game and pieces.

Is the solution Yanni updating the mosquito?

Or should on hive play be left solely to the beetle?

Or is there another solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
My question here, and I am curious what others think, is if the mosquito is limiting the potential future of Hive?

I tend to think the natural progression of Hive is more 'in-top-of-the-hive' play.

Currently only the beetle officially stays atop the hive, so the mosquito works since if it is on the hive it is a beetle.

But the mosquito is proving a problem for expansions (at least DIYs) including the much-developed dragonfly and my own humble flea.

We see John Yanni getting bolder with the Pillbug, so the future could hold more 'official' bugs, but even then to take a bug on top of the hive the question of what the mosquito is mimicking comes up.

Or is there another solution?
Personally, I like the Mosquito, however I agree with you about one thing: this bug is limiting the potential of future Hive. As it is now, it blocks the introduction of any non-Beetle bug with 'top-the-Hive' movement ability. Last two expansions (Ladybug, Pillbug) are nice (I love the Ladybug), but their movement characteristics seems more complicated and less elegant, compared to the original pieces such as the Ant or the Grasshopper. And that's 'The M.' who is responsible for that. If not for the Mosquito, the Ladybug could have had another, simpler rules. As I tried several fan made bugs, it's still possible to create an innovative piece that moves on the ground level. However, it's getting more and more difficult with every new bug. In contrast, top of the Hive stays unexplored, with the Beetle, as the sole ruler of the Hive-ish heights. Meanwhile, it's getting too crowded on the ground floor.

What to do with the Mosquito and Dragonfly in play? This issue was discussed several times. Are new bugs with 'top-the-Hive' movement possible?

As for the second question, I like the idea of a mini piece by Chlorix. His Mite is a good example. We also worked together on two more mini pieces that weren't published yet.

As for the first question, some time ago I proposed changing the rules for Mosquito a little. It can mimic only these movements that don't end atop the Hive (result - 'The M.' can't climb the Hive). But I guess it's hardly possible that John will change the rules for the Mosquito. When I play the Dragonfly or Flea, I simply leave 'The M.' behind. 'No M., no problem' and I can concentrate on the new bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a simple solution would be to generalize the Mosquito's ability to account for multiple "on the hive" bugs, e.g. "A mosquito on the hive moves like any "on the hive" bug currently in play" (which, as a special case, means it works like a beetle if beetles are the only "on the hive" bugs in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playing with new bugs really limits the game for me.

I love the game with all the bugs as options.

I suppose a small piece addition is an option.

The acts like a bug on hive is OK but what if no bug is atop the hive with the mosquito?

As for the ladybug I see it as the 'knight' of hive and thus quite traditional and elegant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think by "on the hive" bug, Russ means bugs that can stay on top of the hive, not necessarily bugs that are currently on top of the hive. In which case I think his suggestion would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would make a Mosquito on the hive very powerful into the future, even if just beetle and dragonfly it gets high powered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I think by "on the hive" bug, Russ means bugs that can stay on top of the hive, not necessarily bugs that are currently on top of the hive. In which case I think his suggestion would work.
Yes, that is indeed what I meant, i.e. in a game with only beetles and no other hypothetical bugs which can go "on the hive", the mosquito would work exactly as it currently does.

Sorry for the ambiguity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe there are some basic principles of Hive all pieces should adhere too.

1) The one hive rule.

2) A piece should always start adjacent to a piece of its own colour (and likely on ground level, although a top of hive piece might change that to topping its own colour).

I will say I was re-looking at my checker jumping flea, and am wondering if starting on the hive is not the solution. It then jumps over a single piece in a straight line. It cannot jump over an empty space.

To compensate for balance I am thinking it may be restricted to not being able to jump over a bug that is already on the hive.

But back the basic discussion. In my case I also believe piece interaction should be without exceptions. As examples I don't like the dragonfly not transporting the other dragon fly.

And this is of course where the mosquito becomes the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
John Yanni
Yianni.

My gut reaction is that on-hive play should be left to the beetle. Otherwise it will become too easy to cover opponent pieces and drop new pieces right next to the enemy queen (or wherever), rather than skilfully manoeuvring your pieces round the hive.

I've not yet played any of the variant pieces though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree that the M compromises the movement and abilities of future bug expansions. I think it was introduced prematurely. One solution is to not use it so a player can focus more on the game. The other way is to make it less powerful by only allowing it to mimic the movement of the enemy pieces it touches, otherwise it just moves one field at a time like the Queen Bee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls