Hide
16 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Will any expansion do for 5 and 6 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chillaboi cruz
msg tools
Already got Dominion and it was a huge hit with my gaming group. There's a fifth player that wants to join in. Can I buy any big box expansion to allow for 5-6 player? Or it has to be Dominion: Intrigue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No because you need more victory and treasure cards. You need the base and Intrigue or at least the base set card package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
imc2111 wrote:
Already got Dominion and it was a huge hit with my gaming group. There's a fifth player that wants to join in. Can I buy any big box expansion to allow for 5-6 player? Or it has to be Dominion: Intrigue?

In order to play with 5-6 players, you need extra basic treasure and victory cards. There are only 3 sources of those cards.

1) Dominion - Not a good idea if you already have a copy

2) Dominion: Intrigue - Probably the best option because you get 25 new kingdom cards for more variety

3) Dominion: Base Cards - This set is just the basic treasure and victory cards and curses (including Potion, Platinum, and Colony). No kingdom cards. It can be found for only around $10. If you want to save money, this is the cheapest route. If you want to play with 5-6 players and want additional kingdom cards but are not interested in Intrigue, you could get this as well as whatever other expansion you want, but in the end it will cost more than just getting Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 3 Dominion sets which contain the basic treasures, victory cards, and curse cards:

Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Dominion: Base Cards

You need at least 2 of these sets in order to play with 5 or 6 players. Buying a Base Cards set is the cheapest way to do this, but note that the card art is different than what it looks like for Dominion (meaning the front of the Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Province, Duchy, and Curse cards all look different, but the back is still the same).

Another option would be to just proxy the cards that you need. I don't remember how many blank cards come in Dominion, but you would need 3 more Estates, 3 more Provinces, and 10 more Curses to play with 5 people. So if you have enough blank cards, you can just write those card names on those until you can buy a new set.

But Intrigue is a fantastic set in my opinion, and well worth your money. You'll get a lot more interesting cards as well as official support for 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Another option would be to just proxy the cards that you need. I don't remember how many blank cards come in Dominion, but you would need 3 more Estates, 3 more Provinces, and 10 more Curses to play with 5 people. So if you have enough blank cards, you can just write those card names on those until you can buy a new set.

In order to play according to the rules published in Intrigue, you also need twice the amount of basic treasure. In some cases it won't matter, but be aware that you're playing a house rule at that point.

Which brings up the point: if you want the published 5-6 player rules, you need to get Intrigue. They are not in the base cards expansion. If you want to get the rules from a "how do I play with 5-6 players" thread here on BGG, read the thread from the bottom up, because not everybody gets the rules right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Washburn
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

3) Dominion: Base Cards - This set is just the basic treasure and victory cards and curses (including Potion, Platinum, and Colony). No kingdom cards. It can be found for only around $10. If you want to save money, this is the cheapest route. If you want to play with 5-6 players and want additional kingdom cards but are not interested in Intrigue, you could get this as well as whatever other expansion you want, but in the end it will cost more than just getting Intrigue.

I think it's important to note that the Base Card set has new art for all the Base Cards...This is a double edged sword. It's good because it allows for the money cards in particular to be MUCH more easily discernible from each other from across the table, but it's bad if it's going to bug you that - when combined - you'll have different looking base cards. Your base cards will be the original art and the new cards will be the new art. Ultimately that could cause some completists to want to purchase TWO sets of the base cards which can wind up costing even more money...or perhaps it wouldn't bother you at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chillaboi cruz
msg tools
Thanks for the info guys, I think we'll get Intrigue next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Putts wrote:

In order to play according to the rules published in Intrigue, you also need twice the amount of basic treasure. In some cases it won't matter, but be aware that you're playing a house rule at that point.

Which brings up the point: if you want the published 5-6 player rules, you need to get Intrigue. They are not in the base cards expansion. If you want to get the rules from a "how do I play with 5-6 players" thread here on BGG, read the thread from the bottom up, because not everybody gets the rules right.
I've already played with a couple of groups where they retain 12 Provinces and Colonies for 5p and 6p games yuk Oh well, they're THAT casual about Dom anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ackmondual wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Putts wrote:

I've already played with a couple of groups where they retain 12 Provinces and Colonies for 5p and 6p games yuk Oh well, they're THAT casual about Dom anyways.

And I've played with ones that insist on playing with all 12 Provinces/Colonies with 2-p games. It takes a little more tuning of your engine to take 6-7 Provinces without bogging down instead of just 4-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually advice against it. Not against bying Intrigue, that's a fine choice, but against playing with more than four players. By all means, try it out, but this game was really not meant for more than four players. Personally I would argue that four is even stretching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Tanaka
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
BlueSwan wrote:
I would actually advice against it. Not against bying Intrigue, that's a fine choice, but against playing with more than four players. By all means, try it out, but this game was really not meant for more than four players. Personally I would argue that four is even stretching it.

Personally, I would argue that playing with 5-6 players is fine and you should try it. If you played it with 4 already and quite liked it, playing with 5 isn't all that different. Plus, if you find that you hate it you can always use those card to play 2 games of 2 and 3 players at the same time. Just don't feel that you can't have fun playing with 6 players just because some guy on the Internet tells you so.

For my group we actually have all the expansions, including the base cards. I find that the base cards are actually quite nice. First of all, the art is better. Second, it's easier when you want to play a game that doesn't include either of the two main sets. When playing 5-6 players, we usually don't bother bringing out double treasure unless we actually run out of a pile. It does mean we have different looking provinces (and sometimes duchies) but it hasn't been a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that 5-6 players can be fun. Sometimes, and especially when cards get more complex in later sets, turns can take much longer. It definitely makes you play differently, knowing piles can be eaten up quicker. My advice would be to buy Intrigue, have all the extra base cards you need, and play 5 players. If you don't like it for any reason, run one game of 3 players and one of 2, switching people around in games. Plus, you have new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Putts wrote:

If you want to go super rules lawyery, and I do, pull out your Intrigue rulebook and check page 2, paragraph 5, in the setup section for the base 2-4 player game. It states that the basic treasure cards are intended to be abundant enough to never run out. It does allow that they might run out, but as an aside, in a way that implies a preference for the never-ending stack. So in that sense, if you let a basic treasure pile run out, you’ve entered house rule territory. (I’d probably add more basic treasure cards from another set, if handy, but would stop before proxying other cards as basic treasures. But proxying allows for other interesting variants that might reduce early player advantage…)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacMog wrote:
If you want to go super rules lawyery, and I do, pull out your Intrigue rulebook and check page 2, paragraph 5, in the setup section for the base 2-4 player game. It states that the basic treasure cards are intended to be abundant enough to never run out. It does allow that they might run out, but as an aside, in a way that implies a preference for the never-ending stack. So in that sense, if you let a basic treasure pile run out, you’ve entered house rule territory. (I’d probably add more basic treasure cards from another set, if handy, but would stop before proxying other cards as basic treasures. But proxying allows for other interesting variants that might reduce early player advantage…)

I have tackled this issue before. You can see what I have to say here. Spoiler Alert: An empty basic treasure pile counting for end game is not a house rule. It is the Rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
MacMog wrote:

I have tackled this issue before. You can see what I have to say here. Spoiler Alert: An empty basic treasure pile counting for end game is not a house rule. It is the Rule.

In the interest of not reviving that old thread, I'll reply here.

I see that you feel strongly about your position, but that doesn't make it correct. It sounds like
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
doesn't care, and if neither designer nor publisher retracts a printed part of the rulebook, I'll stick with it. By way of comparison, I will declare with just as much justification that the Rule does not require you play treasures before buying any cards, even if expansions added the Corollary that says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
MacMog wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
MacMog wrote:

In the interest of not reviving that old thread, I'll reply here.

I see that you feel strongly about your position, but that doesn't make it correct. It sounds like
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
doesn't care, and if neither designer nor publisher retracts a printed part of the rulebook, I'll stick with it. By way of comparison, I will declare with just as much justification that the Rule does not require you play treasures before buying any cards, even if expansions added the Corollary that says otherwise.

Jeff, a Dominion playtester, has it perfect in that linked post. Feel free to play by whatever variants you want. If you aren't playing by a variant then it's possible to run out a treasure pile, in which case it's empty and counts towards the end condition and makes City better, with no house rules involved or required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.