Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What could possibly justify this outlandish claim? How about this for starters? The atheist monument contains quotes from the founding fathers. The Ten Commandments do not.

Here's the one that might just be the most salient:
The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion... -- Treaty of Tripoli

The Treaty of Tripoli was read, signed, and enthusiastically presented to the American people by none other than President John Adams. The second president. The Massachusetts delegate to the Continental Congress. A founding father. The monument will feature other founding fathers, including Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin. So right out of the gate, it's self-evidently true that this monument has more to do with American History than the Ten Commandments, which were specifically and purposefully excluded from any founding documents.

But what about the Ten Commandments? They're the foundation of American law and life, right? Well, no. They're not. In fact, they're antithetical to nearly everything we stand for. Don't believe me? Well, please, read on.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. This is as blatantly unconstitutional as it can get. Regardless of whether the founding fathers were deists, Christians, or atheists, they were in clear agreement that the U.S. would be a place where one could worship any or no gods without fear of government retribution.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Well, no. It's perfectly legal in the U.S. to make any graven image you like.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain. Um… we will if we feel like it. There’s no law, and no constitutional justification for any law making libel or slander against a deity illegal.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Nice thought. So, I expect we’ll be seeing good Christian legislation making it illegal for Walmart to open on Sundays, right? No?

5. Honour thy father and thy mother. Again, it’s a nice thought. But it’s not part of our constitution. In fact, we have a government sponsored agency whose job is to determine when children need to be taken from their parents and placed in foster care.

6. Thou shalt not kill. We needed a dictate from God to figure this one out? It’s part of every legal code in the world.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Nobody’s recommending it, but the police aren’t going to knock down your door over it. This is a matter for civil courts. It’s not illegal.

8. Thou shalt not steal. Solid advice, and part of the criminal code. It's also in every criminal code in existence, Christian or not.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. These days we call it perjury, and guess what… It’s in every lawbook in the world.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s. This is probably the most ridiculous of the ten. To “covet” basically means to want it really bad. And there’s obviously no law against wanting stuff your neighbor owns. Are we going to get the thought police out to enforce this one?

Only 30% of the Ten Commandments coincide with American law. More notably, the three moral instructions are found in every law code in the world, including Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and Secular governments. There is absolutely nothing inherently Christian about them. As a final kick in the teeth, murder, perjury, and theft are covered by the criminal law code -- not the Constitution. So... what does that leave for the Constitution to take from the Ten Commandments? Not a single thing. Not one."

http://www.examiner.com/article/atheist-monument-is-more-ame...

Poll
Should religious monuments should be allowed on government property?
Yes, but only Christian.
Yes, any religion.
No, none whatsoever. Keep church and state separate.
Don’t care.
      109 answers
Poll created by Throxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this a response to? I don't disagree with the points raised, but I feel like you're replying to something and I have no context here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What's this a response to? I don't disagree with the points raised, but I feel like you're replying to something and I have no context here.
Throxx wrote:
tl;dr
A Florida county has the 10 Commandments outside of their government building. American Atheist group sued to have them removed, the county settled instead for leaving the Commandments, but allowing other religious monuments as well.
So the atheist group decided to erect a monument to secularism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Oh dude, you copied the article almost straight out. You should have at least used quote marks. Can't you come with you own ideas?
Throxx wrote:
"What could possibly..... Not one."
Dude, I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throxx wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
Oh dude, you copied the article almost straight out. You should have at least used quote marks. Can't you come with you own ideas?
Throxx wrote:
Dude, I did.
Yes you did, but I missed them and was flabbergasted by your BRILLIANT article laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
I find the fetishization of the Ten Commandments to be an odd obsession for many of the reasons stated here. When I see the Ten Commandments posted in a public place I usually interpret it as a not-so-subtle "READ THE BIBLE OR DIE, SCUMFUCK!" sort of sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Throxx wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
Throxx wrote:
Dude, I did.
Oh, oh, I see it, I withdraw that comment. You did something even more impressive, you just copied the bulk of the article and attached a poll.

Sorry for mistake.

Did you have any commentary or independent cognitive thought or should I/we do that for you?
Seriously? You have nothing better to do than to critique how much of an article I quoted? I just posted part of the article and place a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a devout Christian and I absolutely hate seeing the 10 commandments used this way. At the very least, it's nonsensical since most of them have nothing to do with our judicial system (as the article points out). I love the 10 commandments, but they don't belong in American law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throxx wrote:
Seriously? You have nothing better to do than to critique how much of an article I quoted?
Since most of us here are avoiding work and reading/posting about politics and religion on a boardgame website, where most "conversation" amounts to sniping at opposing viewpoints... That seems like a silly question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't answer the poll, but I think some religious monuments are perfectly appropriate in certain places. For example: cemeteries, battlefield memorials, or commemoration of historical events that had religious influences. Posting the Ten Commandments at a courthouse seems inappropriate to me, but it also doesn't bother me all that much, unless its paid for with public funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
happyjosiah wrote:
I love the 10 commandments, but they don't belong in American law.
do you really love the 10 commandments or are you just pointing at things outside the government building and saying that you love them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
I didn't answer the poll, but I think some religious monuments are perfectly appropriate in certain places. For example: cemeteries, battlefield memorials, or commemoration of historical events that had religious influences. Posting the Ten Commandments at a courthouse seems inappropriate to me, but it also doesn't bother me all that much, unless its paid for with public funds.
This is the tipping point for me. I'm an atheist and I don't love overt displays of religion because I think they're silly, but I don't really care about this kind of story unless we're talking about something that's paid for or maintained with public funding. Then it's not only bothersome as a failure on a constitutional level, it's also a stupid fucking way to spend tax money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
happyjosiah wrote:
I love the 10 commandments, but they don't belong in American law.
do you really love the 10 commandments or are you just pointing at things outside the government building and saying that you love them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
judeo-christian
Cue Moshe in 3...2...1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If tax money has to be used for art (which I oppose), it doesn't bother me if some of the art depicts religious symbols.

Interesting point above about the paying for maintenance of donated art. I'd prefer that to be paid by voluntary contributions as well, but it's a greyer area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
happyjosiah wrote:
Euroncrowseye wrote:
judeo-christian
Cue Moshe in 3...2...1...
He's not worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
SabreRedleg wrote:
This is the tipping point for me. I'm an atheist and I don't love overt displays of religion because I think they're silly, but I don't really care about this kind of story unless we're talking about something that's paid for or maintained with public funding. Then it's not only bothersome as a failure on a constitutional level, it's also a stupid fucking way to spend tax money.
Stupid question, Dave, but once the darn thing is in place, how money does it take to maintain?
Probably not much--I'm not talking about cleaning or whatever, I was thinking of major repairs/replacements/other ways the government blows money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
it's also a stupid fucking way to spend tax money.
How do you feel about government architecture? Should it be along the lines of Le Corbusiers famous statement about housing ('A machine for living in'), or should it aspire to be more than merely functional?

In that case, remembering the Judeo-Christian heritage of your nation, what's the best form of decoration appropriate to the role of courts as administrators of law and by extension morality? The book of Leviticus is rather unwieldy. The ten commandments are instantly recognisable.

You can disagree with their choice but it's perfectly reasonable as an expression of American culture.
Blow yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throxx wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
Throxx wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
Throxx wrote:
Dude, I did.
Oh, oh, I see it, I withdraw that comment. You did something even more impressive, you just copied the bulk of the article and attached a poll.

Sorry for mistake.

Did you have any commentary or independent cognitive thought or should I/we do that for you?
Seriously? You have nothing better to do than to critique how much of an article I quoted? I just posted part of the article and place a poll.
Seriously? The guy who had nothing better to do than copy an article and attach a poll had nothing better to do than criticize the guy who criticized the guy who quoted an article and attached a poll for criticizing ....

Wait, I just lost my place. Let me start over....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
So with everything going on with the revelations of the NSA security state revealed by Snowden, self proclaimed civil libertarians in Florida are worked up about....

....getting an Atheist monument put up outside a courthouse?

You gotta love these 'faux' social issues that get people's energy and effort distracted from, oh, I don't know, SOMETHING IMPORTANT??????

Ah well. Go Florida Atheists!! Stick it to the MAN!!! But while you're at it, you might consider doing something about Florida ballot issues.

Thanks!

Yours Truly-
The rest of the fucking USA.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what would the counter-monument look like? Would it be put up by a bunch of dick atheists and be nothing but an arrow pointing at the 10 Commandments with the words "Fuck dat shit!" Would it be a flying spaghetti monster, since most atheists now seem to be meme-based? Maybe something more tasteful and thought-inspiring, a group of people looking up and staring at... nothing. Or maybe the Darwin's Evolution monkey guy walking out of the swamp and eventually growing upright?

Having a counter-monument is nice and all, but they better hit a home run with it. I would hate for angry, self-important atheists to just give more fodder to the people who laugh at their angry, self-important selves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Srsly, why don't those guys do something useful, like post snarky comments on a tiny subforum of a niche hobby website?

It's like Ghandi said:
"Complain impotently on the internet about the change you wish to see other people make in the world."

Or something.
I may be paraphrasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So what would the counter-monument look like?
Quote:
It’s a granite bench engraved with secularist quotes.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/04/americas-first-public-mo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
So what would the counter-monument look like?
Quote:
It’s a granite bench engraved with secularist quotes.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/06/04/americas-first-public-mo...
I hope we get a list of these quotes. I'm guessing there will be fewer of them based on uplifting humanity and more about freeing humanity from the oppressive bondage owed to some giant sky wizard. Hope I'm wrong... but I doubt it.

Edit to add:
Quote:
The bench will also feature quotes from the Bible listing punishments for breaking the Ten Commandments, like execution—a move that’s designed to “make it clear that the Ten Commandments are not the ‘great moral code’ they’re often portrayed to be,” as American Atheists Public Relations Director Dave Muscato has said.
Wow, right there in the article. Who knew I would be -that- right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I'm guessing there will be fewer of them based on uplifting humanity and more about freeing humanity from the oppressive bondage owed to some giant sky wizard.
Aren't those both the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |