Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Coup question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeto McWright
msg tools
What happens when a coup fails? Nothing? Unless I'm overlooking something, that's the case in the rulebook. And if that is the case, then what makes coups in non-battleground states risky?

But, as a mistake, my friends and I had been playing that a failed coup could result in increased opponent's influence in the country (kind of like failed realignment rolls, equal to the difference between the die roll and the stability number). Which makes sense if you think about RL coups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. You get military ops for it. It still degrades the Defcon if in a BG country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geetzz wrote:
What happens when a coup fails? Nothing? Unless I'm overlooking something, that's the case in the rulebook. And if that is the case, then what makes coups in non-battleground states risky?
Nothing. However, MilOps always goes up (unless it's a free coup) and DEFCON always goes down if it's a Battleground country.

The risk is that you waste the Ops.

Quote:
But, as a mistake, my friends and I had been playing that a failed coup could result in increased opponent's influence in the country (kind of like failed realignment rolls, equal to the difference between the die roll and the stability number). Which makes sense if you think about RL coups.
Nothing happens if it fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeto McWright
msg tools
Thanks so much for the quick replies! We assumed we had been playing incorrectly but wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geetzz wrote:
What happens when a coup fails?
Usually the rebel leaders are executed, sometimes after a public trial, and the surviving government clamps down even more tightly on the people.

In game terms, the couping player gets MilOps and the DEFCON is adjusted if the coup occurred in a battleground. There is no change in influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:

Usually the rebel leaders are executed, sometimes after a public trial, and the surviving government clamps down even more tightly on the people.
I like to taunt my opponent mercilessly. This tends to make them more reluctant to perform additional coups. Because of this, I never overcontrol battlegrounds as sarcasm doesn't cost any Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:

I like to taunt my opponent mercilessly. This tends to make them more reluctant to perform additional coups. Because of this, I never overcontrol battlegrounds as sarcasm doesn't cost any Ops.
Thick Russian accent works too (character acting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls