Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Unique Ability: 3 Water Element

Overview: These are, by definition, vanilla. There is only a +1 Element on their card; no subtleties. That 'Ideology' is deceptively strong when the stars (tiles) align.

Strategic Advantage:
Having the +1 Element multiplies, as math tends to work. But the simple 2 Water Tiles = 6pts for Dominance. Normally, most animals have 2 Elements of one kind starting. So they only have 4pts if there are 2 tiles. That would make the, need more Adaptions to compensate and compete.

Many other animals have an ability that works during a different phase/time. Reptiles for example, only have an advantage during Regression. But Amphibians are strong all the time.

They are even less appealing for newer players to chose, so as to allow them to be picked with minimal contest; theoretically.

Debatable Disadvantage:
They are stuck in the middle of things. They are 3rd in the natural Initiative, and 4th on the Food Chain. There are times where being in the middle is good, and other times you will just be getting the scraps.

Strategies:
Abundance and Wanderlust are the primary ways to expand their influence. As long as there is Water tiles to be gained, they should be spread. Wanderlust is especially nice if you can grab Sea/Wetlands tiles and add Water elements to them. Then just Speciate to dominance.

And if water is in the Regression box, it may be advantageous to keep it there to minimize other animals competing.

Amphibians fight on their inherent Water 'multiplier' and fight as the other animals do when not in favor otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Nice quick review. I like the idea but it's important to point out that there are problems with the Amphibian as well.

A first turn glaciation on their wetland home is a strong counter-play to their starting advantage. If water doesn't come out often enough in Abundance or Wanderlust then their advantage is squandered. Likewise, if it's common in Adaptation then they should find plenty of other species competing with them.

The luck of the energy draw affects other creatures as well but I think the Amphibian is especially affected by it since they are so reliant on water and have no other special talents.

I think it will depend on the reputation Amphibians have gained in your game group: if they're viewed as powerhouses (and when things go well, they are) the amphibian player may find themselves at a significant disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
A first turn glaciation on their wetland home is a strong counter-play to their starting advantage.
I find it soooo tempting that I have to really force myself not to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not disagree. But the counterpoint to being a 1st turn Glacier guy, is that you may have the wrath of others come unto you for being so aggressive.

It truly is about playgroup. I will likely say they fit well in a 4 man game as they will be no lower than 3rd in Initiative, and even the 1st turn Glacier will only slow them.

3 man may show them as too prominent. 5-6 they may fall to the other animals inherent spreading/competing.

If there is a Water element in Adaptation, it probably will be taken so it will not end up in Wasteland. So there 'should' not likely be a chance of the Tundra losing the Icon. And a first turn Glacier still only kills 1 species. Repopulating sucks, but that is what Speciation + Migration are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding glaciating the amphibians, part of the dilemma is a) someone is going to get a face full of tundra on the first turn anyway and b) it might as well be on the most valuable hex on the board at that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Reiner Knizia fanMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: San Diego Padres fanMicrobadge: I'm an old school Dungeon Master
Good review, I think you nailed it that the key tactic for the amphibians is to get as many water elements as you can onto the board using abundance and wanderlust. If necessary, protect water in the wasteland space.

They are probably a little more dependent on the element draws that some of the other animals, but those element draws are probably the biggest random impact to any animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see you review all the other species Travis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread should be in the "strategy" forum and not the "review" forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
I would love to see you review all the other species Travis.
+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls