12 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on tunnels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smotherman
msg tools
The rules state:

"What makes a tunnel special is that a player is never quite certain just how long the route he is trying to claim will be!"

Does this mean that any additional cards played as required by the 3-card reveal count toward the length of the route, for scoring purposes (both route scoring and longest-train calculation)? I'm guessing not, but it's ambiguous to me.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played that it does.
I don't think the app does either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gumby
Australia
Taree
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, I don't think they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just a bit of fluff (the "how long it will be"). Points are based on the number of little plastic trains you use, not the number of cards. You can always back-calculate how many points you have on the board (except in Africa).

tl;dr: No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
No. For scoring purposes, the length of the route is the number of spaces depicted on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smotherman
msg tools
Thanks all. I was thinking it didn't matter, but then I rules-lawyered the exact wording and got confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just prefer to think of it as a cost overrun (after encountering unexpected engineering difficulties) rather than making it longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbrageofsnow wrote:
That's just a bit of fluff (the "how long it will be"). Points are based on the number of little plastic trains you use, not the number of cards. You can always back-calculate how many points you have on the board (except in Africa).

tl;dr: No.
Even then, you can just assign wooden cubes or other such objects to the routes that were doubled with Terrain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Duncan
Scotland
East Kilbride
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
www.gameburst.co.uk
badge
I have the power!
Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: The theme is strong with this oneMicrobadge: I play with purple!
The tunnel counts towards your route, not how many trains it cost you to gain the tunnel.

hope that clears it up for you.

kgsodie wrote:
The rules state:

"What makes a tunnel special is that a player is never quite certain just how long the route he is trying to claim will be!"

Does this mean that any additional cards played as required by the 3-card reveal count toward the length of the route, for scoring purposes (both route scoring and longest-train calculation)? I'm guessing not, but it's ambiguous to me.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
I just prefer to think of it as a cost overrun (after encountering unexpected engineering difficulties) rather than making it longer.
"Dynamite ain't cheap" is our general response when someone has to cough up extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgsodie wrote:
The rules state:

Wow, I can't believe the rules actually say that, but they do, on Page 5.

What the rules should say is that "... a player is never quite certain just how many cards they will have to play in order to claim the route!"

The European Express is nevertheless calculated this way: "When evaluating and comparing path lengths, only take into account continuous lines of plastic trains of the same color." (Page 7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
It's trying to be thematic - in the sense that when you tunnel, you may come across some unforeseen barriers that require a reroute (hence the additional train card/s).

No effect on scoring of the tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls