Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi to all,

after my first game, I am wondering a few things:

1. Even if I don't quest in phase 3, staging does occur right?

2. If I have understood correctly, you have to exhaust characters to quest, defend and attack right? That's a lot! I wonder how you can do all that...I just tried to play with the Lore deck, and I never seemed to be able to use the abilities of my heroes (such as drawing 2 cards...)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
1) By "I don't quest", you mean "don't commit any characters to the quest", correct? Yes. If you commit 0 characters, you still Quest, you just quest with 0 committed Willpower, which means an automatic threat increase of whatever the staging area ends up at, in addition to any nasty When Revealeds during staging. Generally, questing helps.

2) Yes. Lots of things require you to exhaust; not only those things, but many activated abilities, and many Treacheries or forced effects. The game is largely one of resource management; not only actual Resources, but hero actions themselves, which are finite (but can be expanded with cards like Unexpected Courage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Build up an army of allies to do the mundane stuff. This frees up your heroes to use their special abilities. You're right it is a lot to do. The first turns when you have no allies are crucial to getting off to a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kubiak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have learnt from the first few games (I am a newbie too) is that you shouldn't be afraid to sacrifice some of your allies and use them as meat shields on defence - it frees your heroes to do their job (questing, killing and using their abilities).

Oh, and try not to let those monsters attack undefended - last game I didn't use Aragorn - which was ready - against attacking Dol Guldur Orcs hoping that I can stand 2 or 3 damage and then kill the Forest Spider with him. But the shadow card added 3 to orcs' attack and killed one of my heroes - with 2 heroes I couldn't quest fast enough, got flooded with locations and lost on 50+ threat.

So tread carefully, even through Mirkwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klancyg wrote:
meat shields

Love this ally because of the the added benefit of smacking the enemy in the chops before he joins his ancestors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all for your replies!

With regards to 1), yes, that's exactly what I meant. And I didn't play the way you say it, but now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense...but it is even more difficult because you have to commit characters to quest most of the time then...

I tried to play with the Lore deck out of the Core set because I usually like deck management and to draw cards, but it might be a bit too difficult for a newbie.

Also, I found that with only 3 resources/turn, I would usually just play 1 ally or equipement each turn, as it was difficult to play more, above all if I wanted to use the ability of my hero to heal a damage for 1 resource...

Well, I definitely need to play more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:

Love this ally because of the the added benefit of smacking the enemy in the chops before he joins his ancestors.
I played NinjaDorg's 'The Old Forest' (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/645337/ninjadorgs-scenario-1...) this past weekend. Twice I was left one short of taking out a major enemy (first Ungoliant's Spawn, then a Hill Troll) in their first engaged turn. Twice my trusty Gondorian Spearman took that enemy down next turn, and survived to tell the tale over a beer.

It felt awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
teleogryl wrote:
Wister wrote:

I played NinjaDorg's 'The Old Forest' (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/645337/ninjadorgs-scenario-1...) this past weekend. Twice I was left one short of taking out a major enemy (first Ungoliant's Spawn, then a Hill Troll) in their first engaged turn. Twice my trusty Gondorian Spearman took that enemy down next turn, and survived to tell the tale over a beer.

It felt awesome.
A later pack (I forget which one, I'm afraid) introduces the Spear of the Citadel, which attaches to a Tictacs character and gives that character the Gondorian Spearman's card text. My favourite use for it is giving it to a Gondorian Spearman, and then he does TWO damage on a block. Combine that with Thalin questing, and anything that comes out of the deck with 3 HP or less doesn't even get a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, reading through a report session, I have seen that I had misplayed a critical rule, namely that once an enemy engages you, he remains engaged in later turns and is not part of the staging area anymore, so that its threat level does not contribute to the overall threat level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls