Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in two stat siumlation basketball leagues, one retro and one contemporary, and have a problem in each: unpromising drafts.

In my retro league we're getting ready to play 1960-61 once the playoffs conclude (we're approaching the finals now). I pick second by virtue of finishing 7th our of eight teams. 1960-61 was Oscar Robertson's rookie season. He's going first overall.

The second selection in that season's NBA rookie draft never played a minute in the league.

So I have the second selection overall and have no idea what I can do with it. to make matters worse my core is aging and the 1961 draft looks even more dire.

In the contemporary league I had a dreadful season. I finished last overall -- which means that, since we use the NBA draft lottery to determine our draft order, I get to pick fourth overall. As far as I can tell therer were only two really good rookie seasons in the entire league: Damien Lillard and Kyrie Irving. they will both be gone, and this is the second year in a row I've finished last and the second year in a row the lottery has sabotaged me. to make matters worse Russell Westbrook is my franchise player and will miss at least all of 2013-14 in the real league.

Needless to say I have no optimism whatsoever in either league. But I have to at least try. But it's beginning to look like I have no rational shot at significant improvement in either league for the next three or four years.

Makes me wonder why I do it sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am misremembering but I thought Jerry West was drafted after Robertson in that draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is in the draft, but he was apparently drafted much later. He's probably my pick at #2 is Roberston is gone -- not only does he have great long-term prospects but he plugs a hole in my current roster.

As far as the contemporary league, I got nothin'. We will be using the 2012-13 stats next season. This is my roster:

Guards: Willie Green, DeMar DeRozan, Keyon Dooling, Delante West, Russell Westbrook, Mike Bibby
Forwards: Landry Fields, Stephen Jackson. Eduardo Najera, Jason Maxwell, Kevin Seraphin, Al Harrington
Centers: Mehmet Okur, Jason Smith, Luis Scola

The draft is two rounds and I have to cut to 13 beforehand. One space will be vacated by Okur who retired before the 2012-13 season. Eduarado Najera's retirement opens up another. Player movement is close to non-existent in this particular league; the only major trade in the last three seasons is when I acquired Westbrook in a deal that sent away Kevin Love. Aside from Damien Lillard everyone is a serious gamble as the 2012-13 rookie class was devastated by injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea there was something like this going on. Is there anything this interweb can't do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I had no idea there was something like this going on. Is there anything this interweb can't do?

I don't know for sure that any of the other coaches in my leagues are here. There are, no doubt, fantasy leagues being run on the Geek in various sports, among the various interest groups.

This is an entirely different sort of league, though. We use a simulation game, in this case Action! PC Basketball, to play out the games which we coach, and we also make personnel decisions for our teams. that adds a few more layers of strategy and decision-making as opposed to simply adding up the statistics accumulated in the NBA.

It also permits "retro leagues" in which the player pool comes from a past season. In this case, the league is approaching the finals for 1959-60. This was Wilt Chamberlain's rookie year. He'll be utterly dominant in 1960-61. I've been reminded that 60-61 is the rookie year for both Oscar Robertson and Jerry West, so the second pick starts to look a little less dire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - this is basically like a Strat-O-Matic league. I ran a baseball one for years.

Dave Koch does the Action Sports line (which, I think is even better than SOM). Interestingly, like SOM, Koch had a line of boardgames at one point, as well.

I actually played the hell out of my Lance Haffner games when I was younger -- another awesome simulation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the commissioner of one of my baseball leagues what I can do in this case (the modern league). He wondered why quitting was off the table.

It is, of course, off the table. I used to be commissioner of this league up until last season. it was a very frustrating experience, as is the experience of being bad in a league with virtually no player movement.

But I have absolutely nothing worth trading either, at least if I wanted to get something decent in exchange, so even that might not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.