Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Often, in our recent games, we have at least 1/2 of our adventurers heading for the bank on the first turn and all of them taking out loans and camping in the Curiositie Shoppe looking for Elder Signs. This strategy seems too powerful, as we generally get 2-3 by the end of the game.

I am toying with the following variant:

Increase the number of sealed gates needed to win by 1 for each unpaid (or defaulted) bank loan in play.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never gotten a bank loan, and usually don't camp for signs unless I have a character who is otherwise pretty useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when I've heard someone suggesting Sign-camping, it becomes apparent that they've forgotten that you have to buy something if you can. It doesn't take many turns of not finding an Elder Sign and being forced to buy something else to bankrupt you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix in an expansion or two to make elder signs a very rare item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how your group is surviving the upkeep. The couple of time I've tried taking out a loan, I've ended up paying for more interest than its worth and eventually having to discard my items when I ran out of cash. It seems like voluntarily taking a loan is a losing strategy unless I've just not been doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I'm wondering how your group is surviving the upkeep. The couple of time I've tried taking out a loan, I've ended up paying for more interest than its worth and eventually having to discard my items when I ran out of cash. It seems like voluntarily taking a loan is a losing strategy unless I've just not been doing it right.

There are two ways to survive this. The simplest is to save $4-5. We rarely will run out of money for interest payments before the game ends. The other way is to abuse the system. The character who takes out a loan gives all of his money and items to another. Then he fails in the upkeep phase and defaults, losing nothing as he has nothing to lose. Then his partner gives him back his items. As a group, you are up ten dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are aware that you cannot just automatically default on the loan? That you have to roll for each turn until you get a 1-3 on the die, then if you have no money you lose all your items?

We had one player try that, then roll a 4-6 for the next 3 turns, which wasted a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Neuro we rarely find ourselves taking out loans also. Partly as camping would be a very expensive strategy due to:
AnyMouse wrote:
Mix in an expansion or two to make elder signs a very rare item.

And partly as even when we only had the base game, camping didn't seem that fun. The same goes for swapping items and money before defaulting (and yes, no auto-default can make a rather useless investigator (Kingsport?)). Both feel to us like strategies that run contrary to the tread of the game (although I'm not suggesting this is the case in other people's games, it just doesn't feel right in ours). If we're finding the game too challenging we add a guardian or pick different GOOs, heralds or investigators.

In that context we've never found them overpowered. In fact we've generally had little use for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to find the Elder Signs the wonderful gift at the beginning of the game but have never 'camped-out' at the Curiosittie Shoppe for them as that's not a useful strategy ~ also, I play with all of the expansions, so the chances of findoing even one is quite rare indeed.

As to taking a Bank Loan ~ only Jenny Barnes takes one out in my games, unless someone can make the payment. For instance, in my current game, the Relationship card shared between Tommy Muldoon and Jenny Barnes has one Investigator gain $1 when the other gains $1 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all of the above - never found camping to be a useful strategy, and as long as you're following the "have to buy something" rule, the player tends to be out of money before they see an Elder Sign. You could get lucky and end up with a couple, but the time it would take is much better spent collecting clues and sealing gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.