David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

Two questions today!

1. I am totally confused on Double Spaced Figures, I thought I had it understood, until I wanted to turn my double spaced figure 180 degrees on a size 3 hexed space - Just to clarify, I pick one end to lead with, and then the back end must land on the space the leading end up moved from, correct?

2. LoS, does this only apply when at range greater than 1, or does it affect models within 1 range who are engaged? For example, I had Torin with his left part adjacent to a model who wasn't within his LoS, could I attack him without moving or not?

Many thanks!

~David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Tooooon wrote:
Hi there,

Two questions today!

1. I am totally confused on Double Spaced Figures, I thought I had it understood, until I wanted to turn my double spaced figure 180 degrees on a size 3 hexed space - Just to clarify, I pick one end to lead with, and then the back end must land on the space the leading end up moved from, correct?

2. LoS, does this only apply when at range greater than 1, or does it affect models within 1 range who are engaged? For example, I had Torin with his left part adjacent to a model who wasn't within his LoS, could I attack him without moving or not?

Many thanks!

~David
1. What do you mean by a '3 hexed space'? A double spaced figure occupies only 2 hexes, right? And turning 180 degrees essentially means flipping them around on the same 2 hexes, right? 'Flipping' is a free action, you can do that any time. When moving you're right about one end leading and the other following.

2. I'm trying to imagine a situation where a model being adjacent to another has 0 LOS. Must have a wall in between or something? Anyway, even at distance 1 LOS is a must to attack. But what do you mean by 'Torin with his left part adjacent'? Either the whole figure is adjacent or it isn't. A 'part' cannot be adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unless something tall is in the way (such as a wall higher than one of the figures, or on a cliff taller than the lower figure's height), units adjacent/next to each other are considered "engaged." So, no range considerations/factors are possible and LOS is no longer required, even if one figure can't really see the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answers - Let me try and clarify what I mean.

When I say a 3 Hexed space, I mean a raised part of the map with 3 hexes worth of space to move around on. So I was trying to work out how turning around on such space would work.

Righto, let me draw a picture since I can better explain it that way!

Questions 1-3 relate to moving with a two spaced figure, while Question 4 is what I mean by attacking adjacent models without LoS - Also, can "free flipping" be done any time during your movement, and as many times as you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Flipping on the spot is a technicality that is not considered movement as such, it just happens while you're moving, and so does not require picking an end to lead with. Your example, number 1, is correct. Also it can be done any number of times, at any point, during movement, for free... (If HS was a computer game, I think this might be a glitch... )

In your movement example ,number 3, the last suggestion (furthest to the right) is correct. The other one is illegal.

From the rules: A figure does NOT need Line of Sight to attack a figure that it is engaged with or adjacent to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
P.s. Just in case you don't use the subscribe function, I thought I'd let you know that I've posted a couple of links in your recent HS availabilty thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Flipping on the spot is a technicality that is not considered movement as such, it just happens while you're moving, and so does not require picking an end to lead with. Your example, number 1, is correct. Also it can be done any number of times, at any point, during movement, for free... (If HS was a computer game, I think this might be a glitch... )

In your movement example ,number 3, the last suggestion (furthest to the right) is correct. The other one is illegal.

From the rules: A figure does NOT need Line of Sight to attack a figure that it is engaged with or adjacent to.
Technically, wouldn't BOTH examples (the last one and the second to last one) be legal? A figure can always move back into a space they previously occupied, after all...provided they have enough move remaining to do so. And the flip is free, so I don't see anything wrong with either final situation. Essentially the third example would just be not moving, but flipping instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes they would. Illegal is wrongly put on my part in the answer above, (depending on how you read the intent of the move, and I read it as "flicking" the figure, like a switch) but for explaining the principle of the rule, I'd still say the last one is the better example. But J B is correct in that you can legally end up in the position given in the exmple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls