Ben Wand
United States
Chesterfield
MO
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hansa Teutonica fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fan - SilverstarsMicrobadge: HistorianMicrobadge: Carson City fanMicrobadge: Concordia fan
On my latest A Game of Marketing blog

http://gameofmarketing.blogspot.com/2013/06/stay-on-target-i...

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: I speak CalifornianMicrobadge: University of California - BerkeleyMicrobadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!
Really the lesson is about the inanity of blindly allowing comments on anything. Sure it got lots of negative comments. Do you think those comments cost MacDonalds even one sale? It may have even gotten them some from people who are like "Screw those haters. I'm going to go get me a quarter pounder right now." MacDonalds probably assumes a fairly low hit rate for this ad, and that is fine with them. Having some ability to target might push it from .5% to 2% (numbers entirely made up). The fact that 98% of the people who see it don't like/care about it is completely irrelevant to them (and in fact it's a positive because that's better than 99.5%).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls