Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Rousseau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a bit confused with the exil rule. Can we stay in exil as long as we want or is it only a location for one turn? What is the strategic utility of it? Can you give a gameplay exemple? Thx in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've never used it in 5+ games. I certainly don't see the point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can stay in exile as long as you want, although it isn't the best plan.

Gameplay example. There has been a vicious coup against the President, with all the other players uniting against him. The President has a card which gives him Demonstrators in an embassy of his chioce- he picks Soviet embassy. He plays the card and goes into exile, taking his money and cards with him (he can't use them, of course). The other players elect a new president, who can now shoot someone- but not the old President, because he is in exile. He shoots the Minister.

In the new turn, the dead player returns, but the old President stays in exile (if he tried to return the new President, acting as Minister, could shoot him). The old President must still have a position alotted to him, though. The new President gives him the 'Minister' position, meaning that the new President now acts as Minister (via his 'Brother-in-law). The new President passes the Budget at gunpoint, moving the police to the Chamber of Deputies. Then there is a coup. The player who died is currently Air Force Commander. He drops paratroops into the Soviet embassy, and asks the former President if he wants to return. He does (he cannot be shot if he returns like this). He takes over as Minister and gets the Chamber of Deputies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rousseau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx a lot. So if i understand well. The best way to return alive is with a ally who give you rigth of passage during a ''coup''.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to get back in is if the Minister is assassinated. There's a specific rule that allows safe returns under this condition before the President's brother-in-law gets control. I managed to sneak back in this way last time I played, by bribing another player to assassinate the minister on my behalf while I was in exile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The President has a card which gives him Demonstrators in an embassy of his chioce- he picks Soviet embassy. He plays the card and goes into exile

Actually, the president can not go into exile during a coup (although anyone else can). The president is not allowed to resign during a coup and exile requires resignation. The 3rd edition rule-book explicitly declares that the president can NOT go into exile during a coup. I don't really know about the other editions.

Basically, the idea of going into exile is to be completely safe from any kind of harm. If you have a lot of money in your pocket and the current regime is after you, exile could be the way to save your money and influence. You can also use it to escape a coup if you think that the winners will not be nice to you. When things look better in your beloved republic, it's time to get back home...

I have played the game very few times and nobody has gone into exile yet. Perhaps it has some connection to the fact that we have only had one coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rousseau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When exactly can im come back from exil? I can choose exil instead of a location in the choose a location phase. But when can i comeback. Is it at the end of a turn or at any phase during a turn? One of the safe way to comeback is suppose to be if the president as been kill and his sucessor as not been vote yet. That rule only seem to work if i can comeback when i want in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
You can return from exile at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MYOB MYOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Never have listened to the rule about Presidential exile...mainly because it's the president of a banana republic that's usually the first to get the heck out of Dodge when things get hairy. (Haiti and the Philippines, to name two fairly recent examples.)

My variant: If the President goes into exile, the rebels win instantly. (Saves the trouble of the usual result IRL: the loyalists backing their own candidate for Presidente.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.