Subject: What if you run out of men? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there another way to get men from Marseilles besides the bonus space where you get three? Because if you have none left to place there...

Seems pretty basic question but could not find in rules just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started to get this out again to try to play it and ran into same problem... How do you get more men if you completely run out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Is there another way to get men from Marseilles besides the bonus space where you get three? Because if you have none left to place there...

Been a while since I played... but... I think that is part of the strategy. You have to be careful to play in such a way that you don't overextend yourself and get screwed by running out of meeples.

I'm pretty sure I saw a post to such effect in another thread, that this is something new players should be warned about, to be careful to not get in that situation.

I'd check the rules but no one ever uploaded them here and it looks like Z-man took them off their site (I guess they sold all their copies and then abandoned the game, nice, no more support).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It just seems weird that they would not have a rule to cover something that could "break" the game. Like maybe pass a turn and get one man back or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Thanks. It just seems weird that they would not have a rule to cover something that could "break" the game. Like maybe pass a turn and get one man back or something?

Yeah. They also don't have a rule to cover what happens when you run out of cards. Which has happened to different groups on occasion according to the posts in this forum.

Great game, but, I think could've used a little more playtesting or at least "rules playtesting" to catch those few "what do we do?" scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:

It doesn't break the game. At most, you wait one round until everyone gets your free card, which gives you at least one new guy (all cards give 1-3 guys).

Same thing happens if all your guys are on the board. Soon, treasure will be collected, emptying out the bonus zones plus any treasures you buy will restock the general supply.

As to the cards, having now played twice tonight, I don't see how it's even possible to run out of cards if you're playing correctly. The discard pile has a ton of cards in it every time treasure is collected. The only way to run out of cards is if literally every player refuses to to collect treasure when they are able to. Which is the entire point of the game, it's pretty much the singular way to collect points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Straup

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:

I found it in the rule book. When you do the supply action, you gain a card with a number of colored bags and a number of people on it. You not only gain the card with a colored bag, but also as many meeples as there are people on the card. 1 bag: 3 meeples, 2 bags : 2 meeples, 3 bags : 1 meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I also missed this rule... Came here to figure out why the game was unplayable after two rounds! Turns out it's not... Hooray for BGG and reading comprehension! With two players and the corr it ectrule it almost seems like the little men are too plentiful. We might toy with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.