Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Or Needed Aid.

Let the dumb questions begin! This card came up when Shudde M'ell had reduced the Museum to 4 Adventure cards. It says "Discard all Adventure cards..." and "Place 6 new Adventure cards..."

So - Do we just replace the 4 remaining card positions or do we deal out the full 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received my copy yet, so is Shudde M'ell's effect permanent or just an effect? If it's a permanent reduction then yeah, just use four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's the intent of Shudde M'ell: to cut down the "normal" number of available adventures from 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginyu POWER

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I think that's the intent of Shudde M'ell: to cut down the "normal" number of available adventures from 6.

It may be the intent, but it certainly is not supported by the card text. The mythos says place 6, so I'd thank my lucky stars and place 6, were I in that position. Besides, it's not like the phrasing "discard all Adventure cards and replace them with new ones" takes much more text than "Place 6 new Adventure cards", they could've easily avoided putting an actual number there. Perhaps you're supposed to get a second chance if that Mythos comes up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:

I going to side with a fellow that play tested the game. Also going with the standard Arkham rule "When given two options to make the game harder or easier, go with the harder".

Shudde M'ell is the world cracker and as such I think its about removing Adventure Card "spaces". Also, canonically Shudde M'ell destroyed whole planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Shudde's ablity when you fail an Adventure that Adventure card is removed and not replaced (ie he's wrecked those parts of the Museum) If you're reduced to zero cards on the table you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
kungfro wrote:

I going to side with a fellow that play tested the game. Also going with the standard Arkham rule "When given two options to make the game harder or easier, go with the harder".

Shudde M'ell is the world cracker and as such I think its about removing Adventure Card "spaces". Also, canonically Shudde M'ell destroyed whole planets.

There's another mythos card (possibly more cards) that opens up another regular adventure room in addition to the (6) that's already there. So if this mythos card came up, I'd discard the 7 adventure cards, and replace it with 6 - as the mythos card states.

The mythos card OP is speaking of says place exactly 6, not replace all existing adventures... so I'd assume that OP has it correct, and you got lucky with your mythos card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well without going into too much detail (parts of the NDA still apply), some ideas for spells were adjusted or discarded when we realized that they could neuter one of the Ancient Ones by circumventing its special ability.

My thought is that "discard all adventures and draw six new ones" would likewise count as circumventing Shudde M'ell and the designer would probably agree that you're only supposed to get back as many adventures as your "current normal."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
With Shudde's ablity when you fail an Adventure that Adventure card is removed and not replaced (ie he's wrecked those parts of the Museum) If you're reduced to zero cards on the table you lose.

If that's the case, I'd say replace with six. The title of the card is "A Fresh Start," after all. If it were just a flat reduction from the beginning, I'd see it differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rankin
United States
Frazier Park
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say replace with 6. Besides count yourself lucky that you actually drew that card since there is only one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.