Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire Player...HERE. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Biro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So my X-wing collection is as follows (please let me know if I should add any additional ships):

Slave I
Millenium Falcon
3 Y-wing Fighters
3 A-wing Fighters
4 X-wing Fighters

3 TIE Advanced
3 TIE Fighters
6 TIE Interceptors

I think I have a rather nice collection; but, I am struggling to find a good way to play solitaire? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice collection. A little light on TIE Fighters for my taste, but you make up for that with Interceptors (or are those numbers backwards?)

As for AI, this isn't nearly as challenging or fun as a human opponent, but it works OK:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/875898/web-based-applet-for-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play both sides. Try to be impartial so you don't favor one side (otherwise they will always win ) Do your best for both sides and pick what you think are the best maneuvers and actions. Focus fire on the most dangerous targets first.

It doesn't have the thrill and second guessing that playing an opponent would have, but it's still fun and great for practice. And you can play some squads that don't look good on paper but you still want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Costa
United States
California
flag msg tools
Guessing the opponents maneuvers is a substantial part of the game IMHO, maybe you would enjoy designing scenarios better. Best thing I think would be to teach a star wars enthusiast how to play. I play my kids a lot, even my wife, or my brothers when there around, and we all enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RipperZ wrote:
Guessing the opponents maneuvers is a substantial part of the game IMHO, maybe you would enjoy designing scenarios better. Best thing I think would be to teach a star wars enthusiast how to play. I play my kids a lot, even my wife, or my brothers when there around, and we all enjoy the game.

Several opponents of mine have commented that I always know exactly where they are going to be and wonder how I'm so good at guessing. A big part of it is being able to put yourself in their shoes or should I say cockpit. By playing both sides solitaire you get good at being able to analyze all of the logical choices for every ship on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
As for AI, this isn't nearly as challenging or fun as a human opponent, but it works OK:

I've played with the 1.4 version and it does leave something to be desired, the 1.5 looks to be much better.

It's not quite like playing a real person but it is IMO better then trying to play both sides.

But playing both sides can work and be fun, just hard to be completely impartial and fair since you know what the other side is doing already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Biro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks, actually in my zest to buy up some the expansions (i.e. the A-wing and TIE interceptor expansions) made a double purchase from amazon and barnes & noble on "Interceptors". Course now they are so hard to find kinda glad that I bought them. Might pick up another wing of TIE's, would like to get at least 2 more X-Wings. Just dropped $160 bucks on the 2nd wave of expansions! Gotta slow my roll a tad, but love the addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mattes
msg tools
Good plan so far. Another wing of Tie fighters and a few X Wings will give you a pretty large fleet. Now you have to find some nubs to teach the game to.

VR
James M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Biro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I have added 3 additional TIE fighters and 3 additional X-wing fighters. Now just waiting on wave # 2 of the of new fighters. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rowe
msg tools
I just started playing the basic rules out if the starter set and am having fun doing this:

I am the x wing, while the ties are NPCs. I use a 20 sided die and spin their dial around the result, then perform the action. I guess first then do the ties' dials.

Since the ties are flying around and are unaware of the boundaries, i allow them and myself to fly off the edge and appear directly on the other side (like in the video game asteroids). You cannot attack across the edge though. You must be in regular proximity to attack.

The next challenge for me us to make up NPC guidlines for the advanced rules. Maybe assign dice results to special moves (focus, barrel rolls, etc)

Anyone have any ides???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Hall
United States
Fallston
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign (http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/) to be pretty fun to play solo, even though it was designed as a co-op campaign. Also, the AI movement for that works out to play decently most of the time. It's a combination of die-rolls and following a script based on the board state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster should be your solution. It's fantastic. Might need one or two Tie Fighters, though.

If you are looking to build a group to play with, I've got a podcast that the next episode is about building a local scene. It comes out tomorrow.

http://shuttletydirium.podbean.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rowe
msg tools
Great!! Thanks for all of the quick responses. I now know who to go to when I finally dig into Car Wars. I work for a school, and used the laminating machine to laminate the entire map and a ton of track pieces I photocopied.

Thanks again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.