Subject: Great Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Riedy
United States
Frankfort
Michigan
flag msg tools

Any gamer who enjoys gaming the battle of Gettysburg should give this game a shot. It does of great job bringing the nasty little tactical realities of the battle to life. Weather it be Reynolds and the Beaufort’s delaying action on July lst or Hood and Maclaws trying to capture the Round Tops. Three Days of Gettysburg (TDoG) operates on a regimental level so you have a lot of options when is comes to troop formations and tactics, for me that is a major plus. If you do not enjoy small unit tactic I would not recommend this game to you. One of the positive parts of the game is how it allows one to start the battle from the beginning or July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. One can also choose to play only small sections of the battlefield such as the fight for the Round Tops. This is great for players who are just learning the rules and who want to get a grasp of the game before tackling July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in their entirety. One thing that I thought the game lacked was any scenarios encompassed the fights for Culps and Cemetery Hill. I know many people don’t consider the fighting there to be very important, but it would have been fun to play with. That aside I would recommend this to any serious gamer of the American Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's commonly known as "3DoG" (three-dog).

[Not "TDoG."]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the review of this. I am wondering, does this game have the "Extended line" provision, allowing a unit to move into the hex, to its left, or right, in addition to the hex that it presently is in? This allows for it to control more area, yet it does 'thin the line' a bit. I am looking for games that have this rule mechanic.

Thanks,

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the Great Battles of the American Civil War series does include extended lines [8.4]. The rules can be downloaded free from the GMT site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Other games with that mechanic include Ney Vs. Wellington (Battle of Quarte Bras) and Wellington's Victory (Waterloo). FWIW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Eelbeck
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Another game with this mechanic is GMT's Battles of Waterloo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Breslin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And of course the Gamers Civil War Brigade series....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.