TJ
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stone Age fanMicrobadge: Vikings fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: The Walking Dead fanMicrobadge: 2013 Copper Supporter
We played the base game about 8-10 times 2-3 player games, never lost or felt challenged. Played our first game of the expansion 2 player and lost! It was extremely close, but in hindsight we really got crushed - scheme twist that takes out the HQ, 2nd to last card was the last scheme twist so we definitely could have got crushed earlier.

We played only new everything, so my concern is the old Masterminds and scheme twists will still be to weak without adding a variant, anyone else see this or think it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have found that it's not really that big of a deal once you integrate everything together. The new masterminds make the core schemes harder, and the new schemes make the old masterminds seem ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Weyland ConsortiumMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan - People for FuelMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - Not a CylonMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Anarchs
Themysteryvillain wrote:
I have found that it's not really that big of a deal once you integrate everything together. The new masterminds make the core schemes harder, and the new schemes make the old masterminds seem ok.
Yes, but if you play it randomized and get old schemes with an old villain, will you crush it?

Alternately, if you get new schemes and new masterminds, how badly would a game go? Here's hoping they either release a mini-pack of Alternate Core Masterminds and the groups they lead, or someone makes a really solid variant here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Halpin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 99 Games "BattleCON" Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
There are a lot of variants that increase the difficulty if you need to. Just try playing with a five card hand for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Nothing makes the game harder then playing ALL 11 scheme twists (unless the kill bot scenario calls for the 3 to stay out). The game was too easy prior to that. After putting the 11 scheme twists in, the game became much more challenging but fun at the same time.

It didnt make the game impossible, just a lot more difficult. And to even it out instead of playing the X amount of bystanders in the villain deck, we just always use 12.

I wish they added at least 2 more master strikes though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
Themysteryvillain wrote:
Mediocre really.

As for just using new heroes. All depends on card combination vs mastermind. Ie colossus vs mephisto is not great.

I've lost a few won more. Without the chance of failure there's not as much rejoicing when you do win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
Finvara wrote:
There are a lot of variants that increase the difficulty if you need to. Just try playing with a five card hand for instance.
Did that. It was rough.

Kind of wish they would have made Madelyn Pryor though she could have been the first female master mind. Still like the "demons" scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
Pittsboro
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: The Thing fanMicrobadge: GreyElephant GamingMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
MysticMist wrote:
Nothing makes the game harder then playing ALL 11 scheme twists (unless the kill bot scenario calls for the 3 to stay out). The game was too easy prior to that. After putting the 11 scheme twists in, the game became much more challenging but fun at the same time.

It didnt make the game impossible, just a lot more difficult. And to even it out instead of playing the X amount of bystanders in the villain deck, we just always use 12.

I wish they added at least 2 more master strikes though
Whenever we play against the older MasterMinds, we pretty much always place all 11 Scheme Twists in the deck. Makes it much more challenging and interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
greyelephant wrote:
Whenever we play against the older MasterMinds, we pretty much always place all 11 Scheme Twists in the deck. Makes it much more challenging and interesting.
u should do it for the newer ones as well. Talk about a challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls