Popular Tags: [View All]
John K
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Worries For Another Day
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, the meeples are preists, but sums up the fact that military might won the game.

It was a four player game and our unnamed cities quickly got named: Halicanarssus, Sparta, Athens, and I named mine Memphis. Since it was the first game of Olympus for the four of us we started out slow, unsure of what was good or bad. We generally followed the Age I of Seven Wonders tactics, purchasing this and that and going our seperate routes towards victory.

However, where the game changed was when I purchased the Temple of Ares. I got the temple fairly early on and, when it was my turn as player 1 later that turn I worshipped at Ares and declared two wars. I won both and got two extra meeples and took vital supplies from the losers. Which of course got them...somewhat angry. Then, with my last meeple, I caused a plague which, because everyone else had long played their meeples, went unchallenged. This, of course, caused everyone else to lose levels on resources or war.

SO, as you can imagine, I wasn't too popular at the table. My continued warmongering didn't help matters, but I avoided causing any other plagues just because it wouldn't have been fun for me or anyone else if everyone kept losing levels with continual plague. That, and I was working on leveling up war, population, and building buildings.

Long story short, between war, the plague, and my extra meeples for a number of rounds, I was able to pull away in points because I reached max population, war, and knowledge first, and I built A LOT of buildings with extra supplies and my war tributes.

However, the rest of the table did do a pretty good of catching up, but after the final tally I won by about 15-20 points.

Summary: A. Building Temples to the Gods is a good thing to do. (other people built temples, but my continued predation stymied their efforts)

B. It's good to check through the available buildings to buy. Because of this we were all able to chain together combos that helped boost our cities or build multiple buildings. I would say there is a medium level of tension about not getting what you want.

C. Regardless of my warmongering, everyone had a lot of fun playing the game and we are all eager to play it again to try out some more of the Temples and other buildings / combos / ordering.

For those looking into this game, I would categorize this as a blend of euro-style worker placement and seven wonders. As we saw in this game with the Temple of Ares, the Temples can be overpowered. But I suppose that is the nature of a TEMPLE to the God of War, that I become a War-focused Nation state. I wouldn't say gamebreakers, because once you know what they do efforts can be made to counter them and, if everyone has a temple, everyone is on more even ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Brazil
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I dont think it is so powerful, because, these extra priest that you earned from the temple of ares, must be returned to the general suply in the upkeep phase. So you only use these extra priest in the round that you won a war.

I hope I became clear. English is not my mother languague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls