7 Posts

Edelweiss» Forums » Rules

Subject: Displacing partisans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
[4.14] Enemy units and stacking in the 2nd edition rules says that when a combat class unit moves into a partisan (active or inactive) hex, the partisans get displaced. The way the rules are worded it sounds like it is NOT the player who owns the partisan who displaces them but the enemy.

I don't know if this is the correct way and in practice it is a little weird, but I can deal with it, I think of it as patrols chasing partisans away.

However in one of the Q&A files on webgrognards, here it what it says on a related point:

Q: May a unit end rail movement in a hex occupied by partisans (4.41)? If so, what happens to the partisans?

A: Yes, the partisans are displaced one hex at owning player's choice.

So who gets to displace them? The owner of the partisan counter or the enemy unit who enters their hex? Or is this two completely different situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like two situations.

If the combat unit enters their hex, the enemy moves the partisans (Advanced rule 2.2 in version 3 of the rules).

If the troops just happen to detrain in the partisan hex, they are not actively searching for them, and the partisans get to sneak away before things get too hot. (FAQ on Web Grognards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Yes I hope this is the right way because it plays very very differently whether you let the partisan player displace them or the enemy.

In the Strategikon AAR I don't think he used that rule at all. Of course it doesn't mean anything because while it was a superb AAR, after reading the rules a few times, I realize he made a ton of mistakes.

Nevertheless, in the AAR the partisans looked like they were a really big nuisance whereas if you let a combat class unit displace them whether they are active or not, it renders them a lot less dangerous. Especially if you also 'spawn' another patrol and an outpost every overphase on top of it like it says in the rules. Besides it allows you to push them back several times in a row. It is such that often I don't even see the point to attack them with patrols, I just push them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fine, if you have the luxury of having combat units spare...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Right yes it forces you to assign some combat units to anti partisan actions because German irregular patrols can't displace active partisans, only the inactive ones. And I have come to realize partisan cavalry is a huge headache to deal with when such a unit blocked the supply line between Krasnodar and the infantry divisions attacking Novorossyisk bringing the offensive in this sector to a complete halt for two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kulkis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
[4.14] Enemy units and stacking in the 2nd edition rules says that when a combat class unit moves into a partisan (active or inactive) hex, the partisans get displaced. The way the rules are worded it sounds like it is NOT the player who owns the partisan who displaces them but the enemy.

I don't know if this is the correct way and in practice it is a little weird, but I can deal with it, I think of it as patrols chasing partisans away.

However in one of the Q&A files on webgrognards, here it what it says on a related point:

Q: May a unit end rail movement in a hex occupied by partisans (4.41)? If so, what happens to the partisans?

A: Yes, the partisans are displaced one hex at owning player's choice.

So who gets to displace them? The owner of the partisan counter or the enemy unit who enters their hex? Or is this two completely different situations?
It's saying that in this instance, owning player (i.e. Soviet player, as he owns the Partisan pieces) gets to displace the Partisans.

Remember, in the game mechanics, the Partisans' job IS interdiction (interference with movement). Having succeeded in their planned mission, they then move out of the area to avoiod the subsequent manhunt by the Germans.

This is in contrast to when a German piece ATTACKS a Partisan. These units aren't strong enough (manpower, equipment, ammunition, uniformity of ammunition types,etc.) to take on an organized that is specifically engaging in an operation to look for and destroy them -- In such cases, Germans will attempt to sweep through an area -- the direction of their attack pretty much controls the direction of the survivors' escape -- which is why in those instances, the German player displaces the Partisans. It all depends on who has the initiative. Units conducting strategic movement (such as along a rail line) are not prepare to fight (besides, what REALLY happened is the track was mined, or the bridge over a minor creek was blown -- then the Partisans leave -- it's part of their plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Yes it works in practice, it was a bit puzzling the first time but it actually works fine.

In some cases you can chain several German activations so to speak to push away partisans several times in a row and it can be a bit weird, but then again if you have two patrols dealing with a single partisan unit, it means there are undefended areas elsewhere and that's where you should strike and cause mayhem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls