La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
May you explain me better the 3rd point of the Attack declaration:
- the block's position is in the field of fire of the enemy it is attacking (or it would be, if the enemy front was reversed)
does it means I can attack an enemy on my rear side? Or what else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Krainbring
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That point is saying to see if you are in the enemy's field of fire you should not only check its momentary field of fire (always to the front) but also its field of fire if the block was facing the other way. So basically you check the position's field of fire in both ways and if your block is in such a field you're able to attack that enemy even though the enemy is not in a position bordering your block's front area or is in your block's field of fire.

That means you could attack an enemy's rear even though at that moment noone is in each other's actual field of fire. It also gives you the opportunity to reverse your front (if your rear is pointing towards the enemy's rear) and attack. So you would be attacking with your front of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:
page 8: only one attack can be made to a position in a single action phase.
page 9: you can play tokens in the same position against different attacks in the same turn.

doesn't a turn (a multi-hour too) have a single Action Phase per player? So how can you attack the same position more than once in a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
Agzaroth wrote:
doesn't a turn (a multi-hour too) have a single Action Phase per player? So how can you attack the same position more than once in a turn?
What it's saying is that you can't attack an enemy position from one of your positions (to soften it up) and then attack that same position again from another of your positions. Remember that attack moves are made one by one, so without this restriction you could do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Attacks are executed sequentially. The referenced page 8 item is indicating that if you wish to attack a position using multiple blocks, the attack has to be executed as one action. An excellent example of this (in this case, the Rodes units) is here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/993272/of-rodes-not-take...

The page 9 citation is for a situation where there are separate attacks against different positions. For instance, in the page 9 illustration, if another separate attack were somehow initiated into the front of the Union block position where Hancock's artillery previously offered defensive support, all of the surviving Union blocks in the illustration could still offer defensive artillery support, even reusing surviving artillery tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catenary451 wrote:

Attacks are executed sequentially. The referenced page 8 item is indicating that if you wish to attack a position using multiple blocks, the attack has to be executed as one action. An excellent example of this (in this case, the Rodes units) is here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/993272/of-rodes-not-take...

The page 9 citation is for a situation where there are separate attacks against different positions. For instance, in the page 9 illustration, if another separate attack were somehow initiated into the front of the Union block position where Hancock's artillery previously offered defensive support, all of the surviving Union blocks in the illustration could still offer defensive artillery support, even reusing surviving artillery tokens.
thanks so much. Really Clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
That means you could attack an enemy's rear even though at that moment noone is in each other's actual field of fire. It also gives you the opportunity to reverse your front (if your rear is pointing towards the enemy's rear) and attack. So you would be attacking with your front of course.
The last sentence is not correct, IMHO. Don't forget the following paragraph:

"An attack path has no fixed distance limit but it must be the least distance possible (counted in movement steps). The first area crossed by an attacking block must be the attacking block’s front area. (...) If no path satisfies all these conditions (i.e. (...) or the least-distance paths’ first area is not the attacking block’s front area), the attack move cannot be made."

This means you cannot revert your front immediately before the attack.

Long time ago, I had discussions with Bowen about legal attack situations. The result is shown below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catenary451 wrote:
CORRECTION: Surviving artillery tokens could not be reused that same turn; tokens don't get processed out of the used token stack until after all attacks that turn are completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls