Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering how the game is supposed to work if you are plaging with more than two players. Are there still only two teams? If more than one player is on a team, do you split characters between them? If so, what level of autonomy is each player meant to have? Do all players on a team discuss everything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played DOA2, but in DOA1 you could play with multiple players by dividing the characters on each team between the players on that team.

Usual practice is to allow full discussion and co-operation between team members.

I would say that 2 player is the best way to play, but multi-player is still fun, and worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sulat
United Kingdom
Dundee
- Choose a State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When plaging I prefer a quarantine - it's not good to spread disease.

As for playing Duel of Ages 2 I believe that team play is the ideal way to play. The game is still in two teams with player's playing 2-3 characters in their team.

When playing this way a lot of the fun comes from discussing and planing strategies, asking friends to deliver the items you really need and pulling your pals out of the trouble they inevitably find themselves in. Plus trash talking and cheering adds to the excitement a lot.

There are no explicit rules governing the social aspect of the game - i.e. what level of table talk is allowed etc. Our group has secret communications during team set-up, the teams are free to go to different areas of the house and confer. Once teams are gathered around the table face to face we play open communication - you can say what you like but it has to be audible to all players. This stops whispering and note shenanigans that can slow down any game (we do allow talking in code though - better hope your friends understand your gibberish).

I have found in the 2 player games I have played the game becomes a lot more tactical a thoughtful. It can have quite a different feel, but is still a lot of fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this up. Most of my play is multiplayer and I was on the fence due to this topic. I'm a huge fan of HeroScape and DoAII sure looks like a winner for me.

In HS we just play cutthroat, every man for themselves, and total points for kills or play to last man standing. Is this possible for DoA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not designed for more than two teams, but it certainly looks doable.
If you're doing that I would use Encounters rather than any of the Labryinths or bases. That'll shorten expected play time significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty easy to play with teams (for reasons mentioned here). I should also add that the game doesn't really take longer--in fact, with good teams it is considerably faster as several players can work through the teams turn simultaneously.

rdsmith wrote:
In HS we just play cutthroat, every man for themselves, and total points for kills or play to last man standing. Is this possible for DoA?

Sure. There are even two extra flag types that you can use for starters but I don't know if this would be as enjoyable a game if it were an FFA. There's so much wonderful synergy and the more characters on a team the more interesting the combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFA with loser taking any damage breaks ALL interactive games.

In some games like Warcraft III a good offensive player may still be successful because he gains XP and as such become more powerful that way even if he fights and loses units and resources. But the normal issue is of course that if you do nothing you save everything and in regular board games the most successful player usually end up being the one attacked simply because he or she is successful.

I meantion loser taking any damage though because in games such as Quake everyone is playing for themself but there's not all that much damage in that game from dying yourself. Sure you lose your gun but then it's back to business.

I guess one could possibly play DoA like that. If you kill someone they draw a challenge card and respawn at say the space furthest away of the possibilities. Beyond that just run around and shoot at each others and maybe meet guardians or encounters for weapons. I suppose that could be somewhat fun and really chaotic? I kinda was going to say bring bases to that but then you more or less got the actual game =P

But I suppose that's not a bad thing, simply by changing how scores are couned I suppose one can turn it into an individual scoring game even though in a team rather than a team effort. The issue then is how to make scoring fair. Then again with 192 characters maybe one can find say 8 which seem fairly balanced in combat?

I too think the team game seem less interesting when I think about it / if one want to critizise (I have no idea how it's spelled and I won't google it and Firefox have no dictionary for whatever reason) since likely for best performance you want to play as a team and decide together but then you're not really playing your characters and are just playing a two player game with help so to speak. If you separate the characters and don't table talk that much then sure. Maybe one could ignore table talk completely and see what develops =P, surprises for everyone!

On the other hand as I've thought about it I thought about playing like 4 people rather than 2. I have a hard time getting the GROUP players to accept playing 2 player games. I suppose it's fine 2 player to.

Maybe someone can work on variations.

Since the collectors edition actually do come with additional copies of the team bases (and lith key) and one already have two challenge decks whereas only one is really needed. The what's in the box even say four team sets? But I assumed one could had taken whatever as progress markers to (though units only having two colors would be an issue but you could place them on colored wooden discs for instance to show what belongs to what team), there don't seem to be any extra copies of the labyrinths though, though there's two different ones?

I assume one can build a pretty fair map with all that for four teams though, but then you're back to basic FFA issues. 1 vs 3? =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.