Subject: Dice tray, tower, cup or table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, I was considering purchasing some kind of dice throwing solution as I got quite a few games that have dice and takes up loads of space (hello there Arkham Horror, didnt even see u there...) so dice flying around on the table hitting cards/minis/counters are not very handy.
I've been looking at a dice tray, it looks nice and old fashioned, while the dice towers have the tray bit but also have the extra "luxury" that it rolls the dice for me.

I was wondering how much joy goes out when not rolling the dice urself vs having the dice tower+gravity doing the work for u.

And Im also interested in what u guys are using and what u would recommend

Poll
What dice throwing solution do you prefer?
Dice Tray
Dice Cup
Dice Tower
The Table
Up in the Air - Down on the floor
      207 answers
Poll created by Pouvla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 'The Table' but that's not to say it doesn't cause 'Up in the Air - Down on the floor' with some frequency ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For electronic addicts, http://www.random.org/dice/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat bottomed glass (voted for dice cup)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes use the dice tray and dice cup combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a foam core dice tower for each person in my gaming group. we use a nice large table so this works. Everyone gets a kick out of the drop. I used the Cthulhu tower plans in the Arkham Horror files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bought a Dice Tray a few weeks back and it's stellar. Use one and believe it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's really no space, roll in the box lid. Trying to get the kids at the group I help run to understand that they need to roll on the table, not the floor (takes ages to find the dice), but NOT roll over the game pieces is a bit of a struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to chuck dice, but I also love to use this custom made beauty given to me by an artist friend. Apologies for the sideways picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a dice tray that I put together. It doesn't take up much space and makes it easy to pass the dice around the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tex
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I checked dice tower, but only because I'm in the process of cobbling one together out of foam core and card stock right now.

Actually, I'm not using any plans at all, (I was going to print them, but my printer is out of red ink so I couldn't print in black..... go figure.) so it currently looks a little crappy and I'd be embarrassed to show pictures of it while it's a work in progress.

It's on the right track though, and once it's finished it should look pretty much how I want it when it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box top, that's what it is there for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In normal circumstances, a dice tray is nice. Having said that, I haven't pulled my dice tray out since I picked up my gaming table cover (very similar to a thick mouse pad that covers the table).

The one I use isn't available anymore, but there are similar ones that users have found.
Here is a review of the cover that I have: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/3852/outside-the-scope-of-bgg...

Here is one thread discussing some other options, but I've seen several similar threads with options:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/792277/gaming-table-cover

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to grab a couple of dice trays for my gaming group (thought they looked classy) but after talking to people the overwhelming vibe was that people wanted to roll on the table. We talked about the different dice rolling options out there. The general attitude was:

Dice Tower: I'm not even rolling the die, I have no effect on the number this is no fun. (Yes I understand that random is random but some people think they roll lucky by hand)

Dice Tray: Looks cool, but may affect my otherwise lucky roll by getting a bad bounce off an edge.

Dice Cup: Neutral

You can see they are mostly a little superstitious but since my table is big enough and knocking pieces off the board hasn't been an issue so far I just abandoned the idea of the dice trays and let people roll on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of these: http://www.litko.net/products/Dice-Tower.html#.Ucu_OqJza70

Very portable, small footprint, no pieces getting knocked over due to inadvertent throws, and a nice clackity-clack sound when dem bones is a-rollin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice towers are really neat, but I just use a dice tray... We used to use the box lids of the games we were playing, but some were just too large and not easy to fit on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice towers are fun, but big and noisy. Rolling on the table is most common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Arkham Horror and Elder Sign I built a couple of sanity-blasting dice trays to heighten the mood:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this thread based on my desire to have a better experience playing Um Reifenbreite (2 dice that have a habit of knocking riders around), and also to help with games of Würfel Bohnanza (7 dice which need to be viewed by non-active player before they make their decision), so just having a dice tray will be my first step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice tray for me! I've tried the other options but I keep coming back to the tray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tower. When I send 6 or so dice down it it makes a nice loud "BRAADAAADAP!" sound.

Next time my group meets at the public tables at the university and giant tables are taken up by one person studying, I'm breaking out the tower. I'll bet they'll leave soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what tables are for....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Tower. When I send 6 or so dice down it it makes a nice loud "BRAADAAADAP!" sound.

Next time my group meets at the public tables at the university and giant tables are taken up by one person studying, I'm breaking out the tower. I'll bet they'll leave soon enough.

I'd just throw on headphones and keep on going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I bounce them off large stacks of counters when possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the dice tower making things more random (especially since my wife has the habit of picking the dice up and immediately dropping them from like 2 inches... most of them just sticking their landing on the original side) ... BUT, I voted for dice tray.

The towers just take away too much of the tactile feel of rolling dice, which I love. I pick up a group of dice, shake them in cupped hands, maybe roll them a couple times between pressed palms, then scoop them all into my rolling hand and feel all their dull points tip-toe down my palm and off my finger tips, getting just the right amount of spin in the air, landing with dull thuds onto the tray felt, followed by the sharp clackity clacks of dice hitting dice. I almost need a cigarette afterward.

Dice tray!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.