Subject: Agricola vs Dungeon Petz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A month or so ago I asked for recommendations for a euro game for my ameritrash gamer group.
Since we never have played a real euro game (Im thinking of worker placement) i thought it was about time to get into that side of boardgames and see if its something we'll like.

Having played a few of the more heavier ameritrash games (Arkham horror, mage knight, descent, Mansion of madness) I feel we can tackle some of the heavier euro games too (for instance, carcassonne seems way to light).
And after alot of thinking and reading reviews I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choices for my next game to be bought.
Since I know the guys im playing with (and myself) I know we need theme in the game, it doesnt have to be all immersive as Mage Knight or Mansion of Madness, but it gotta be more than something like Dominion, length of the game isnt that important.

So Agricola or Dungeon Petz? Or some third option (please no )
Poll
Agricola or Dungeon Petz
Agricola
Dungeon Petz
Other (see comment)
      83 answers
Poll created by Pouvla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz, hands down, it's a fantastic game and one of the best examples of integration of mechanics and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your comments of the necessity of more theme, get DP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a huge fan of euro games but Dungeon Petz I quite enjoyed.

Agricola made me want to blow my brains out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games, but based on the theme aspect I think Dungeon Petz is more accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Agricola has more than enough theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
D&D worker placement perhaps for strong theme and euro mechanics?
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take Dungeon Petz over Agricola.

Dungeon Petz would actually hit my gaming table whereas I've only played Agricola solo since getting it (maybe I should look for a trade there?).

As for the Lords of Waterdeep suggestion, I didn't find it thematic. It might be better with the special meeples, but I don't recall hearing the cubes called anything but cubes so it felt like I was just manipulating cubes for points. The fantasy/D&D/adventuring theme didn't come through at all for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
zombie_homer wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep

I'd go for Yedo over that. It was a very good euro for my AT friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agricola is the better game and has a fairly good amount of flavor (though personally the farming really isn't for me)

Dungeon Petz is a fairly good game with a lot more flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the theme of Dungeon Petz is likely to appeal to more Ameritrash gamers than Agricola's theme.

There's some more games I'd like to throw in:

Dungeon Lords: Another game from the designer of Dungeon Petz in the same world but with a dungeon keeper theme. Might be an alternative if Dungeon Petz could be too... fluffy.

Archipelago: This game is highly dependent on the group in which you want to play it. It's semi-coop and that definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea. However it has great components, a lot of options and choices, hidden game ending and victory conditions and variable play time. Well the last one actually gives you the choice between a long, a very long and an extremely long game but I like the idea.

And the last one would be The Pillars of the Earth. It's a great worker placement game, with very beautiful artwork. If the theme could appeal to your group then I'd also consider this. While not being a light game it's lighter than the other games mentioned but once everyone knows what they are doing it becomes a very tense game where you have to think ahead, know which options are about to come up and know when you might have to change your plan. Unfortunately the expansion has become hard to get (at least in Germany it has).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Agricola, because that is my own preference. The best choice for you will come down to where your priorities lie.

If you are concerned about whether your group will embrace this shift towards eurogames then Dungeon Petz is the safer choice - it has a fun theme that will grab their interest. Be aware that it is a stinker of a game to teach - there is just a ton of rules and there is no escaping the fact that they all need teaching from the outset. I would strongly advise your group to watch some instructional videos first (if you think you can persuade them to do that).

Agricola will offer more replay value (because of all the cards) and, in my opinion, is the better game. It is more intuitive than Dungeon Petz and so it is a far easier game to teach too.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with your chosen game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
zombie_homer wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep

I'd go for Yedo over that. It was a very good euro for my AT friend.

Jonathan is right, plus Yedo will be out any time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Without a doubt Dungeon Petz. I had a friend of mine who basically hates euro's totally get into Dungeon Petz. It's got theme up the wazoo. Just make sure that you know the game from top to bottom before presenting it to others.

There are a lot of little rules and exceptions that you need to keep on top of and I can't imagine a successful teaching game if someone there didn't really know what they were doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that have played Dungeon Petz, would you say Dungeon Lords is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I feel that Dungeon Petz shouldn't be associated with Dungeon Lords in any way.

Although I liked the idea of the puzzles and the worker placement bidding in Dungeon Lords I just found it too long and cumbersome and burdened with rules minutia for its own good. It's an example of a game that I wanted to love - but couldn't.

Dungeon Petz was great for me however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn thats a close vote haha, 65 votes and 1 vote difference between agricola and petz.

Thanks for the votes and all the comments.

For the comments about Lords of Waterdeep, Im getting Yedo on friday, the theme in that is awesome, I've been a japanophile since I was 12

I had a look on Pillars of the Earth, but honestly the theme dont appeal even to me, which then is gonna be real hard to convince the grp to play it.

and Dungeon Lords vs Dungeon Petz, the general consesus seems to be that petz is the better game and lords are abit unpolished/fiddly.

So the descision has come, on friday I'll buy Dungeon Petz (along with Yedo)

Thanks for all the help guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.