England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

When you search a 'search square' do you then draw a search token regardless as to whether you passed or failed the first search?

All the examples I have seen describe the first search as being successful and the manual does not make it clear whether you draw a token if you fail the first search.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always perform the 'smarts' roll first to determine pass/fail. Secondly, I draw a search token from the bag and place it on the board. Finally, if appliable I add a number of zombies to the board as required by the search token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you draw a token regardless of the initial smarts test result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Hi,

When you search a 'search square' do you then draw a search token regardless as to whether you passed or failed the first search?

All the examples I have seen describe the first search as being successful and the manual does not make it clear whether you draw a token if you fail the first search.

Regards

To my knowledge the search tokens should only be drawn on at least 1 success. Other's may play it draw one regardless, but we've always played, you need to succeed at least once to get a token(otherwise it really penalizes the less smart survivors, as most tokens require 2+ smarts to search again)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Hi,

Regards

To my knowledge the search tokens should only be drawn on at least 1 success. Other's may play it draw one regardless, but we've always played, you need to succeed at least once to get a token(otherwise it really penalizes the less smart survivors, as most tokens require 2+ smarts to search again)

This is what I was hoping the answer would be - playing it the other way means I rarely find anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
zeeparkes wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Hi,

Regards

This is what I was hoping the answer would be - playing it the other way means I rarely find anything!

I find the mandatory token draw to be alot more brutal, especially if your squad is dumb as a sack of hammers.

One of these days I want to compile a list of the homebrew rules and design a set of zpoc rules that mimics DOOM, in that their would be various difficulty levels of play for the newcomers to the veteran players who enjoy more pain and suffering their games for the challenge. Mandatory token draws would definitely be the more difficult category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
zeeparkes wrote:
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Hi,

Regards

I find the mandatory token draw to be alot more brutal, especially if your squad is dumb as a sack of hammers.

One of these days I want to compile a list of the homebrew rules and design a set of zpoc rules that mimics DOOM, in that their would be various difficulty levels of play for the newcomers to the veteran players who enjoy more pain and suffering their games for the challenge. Mandatory token draws would definitely be the more difficult category.

You can add to that my homebrew rules for mutating zombies - that's definitely not for the faint-hearted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of searching the rules are a little ambiguous, but I think if you read the full text on page 15 under the search actions box, then I think it is clear you should only draw a search token if a successful search is made.

The first part of the text states "On your turn, you can choose to search... Roll your [smarts]: for each success (5 or Z) draw 1 card..."

It then goes on to state "Now draw a X token..."

This does seem to read like you should take a search token after the smarts roll, picking up cards if successful, but taking the search token regardless.

However, if you continue to read the rest of the associated text it gives an example of a successful search and reads "... you are not clever enough to find anything else," this is in relation to a successful search and the number on the token being greater than your smarts score.

Then further along it explains about exhausting a search area and states "When a location is successfully searched a second time, flip the token to the X side to show the location is exhausted."

It is the last statement for me that leads me to believe (and play) that you only take a token on a successful search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Macleod
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Zee knows what he is talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.