Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
NEW STUDY LINKS AIR POLLUTION WITH AUTISM
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/New-study-links...

A new Harvard study shows women in areas with polluted air are up to twice as likely to have an autistic child than those living in communities with cleaner air....

Utah has some of the worst air quality in the nation and it leads the country in the highest rates of children with autism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

I think that autism is nuanced in that it is caused by multiple factors, and when those factors all come together, you get worse cases, and where there is a single factor that is high and the other low, you may not see any problems at all. Regardless, the more contributing factors we find, the better. More likely there is a specific thing in the air pollution that is affecting this, and hopefully we can find that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autism is affected by how the body (and thus the brain) develops. Pollution must affect how the brain develops as we absorb it into the blood stream (and thus into the undeveloped fetus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IF this is true, it could be huge. The Autism cases they know about are one thing, they are just the easiest to diagnose. Think of all the kids/adults who have been affected to a lesser degree. How many people might have had extra challenges in life because of this? Obviously there is nothing that can be done retroactively if it is the case. Though there will be legions of lawyers pouring over information looking to place blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading the study, there does appear to be a relatively small population pool to use for generalization. However, among that pool, there were statistically significant results. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, but this certainly warrants further study. More than air quality, are there other measures that families of autistic kids might have in common? Those should be looked at too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
bmhoman1 wrote:
In reading the study, there does appear to be a relatively small population pool to use for generalization. However, among that pool, there were statistically significant results. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, but this certainly warrants further study. More than air quality, are there other measures that families of autistic kids might have in common? Those should be looked at too.

Yeah, there are plenty of other unhealthy chemicals around besides in the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I think that autism is nuanced in that it is caused by multiple factors, and when those factors all come together, you get worse cases, and where there is a single factor that is high and the other low, you may not see any problems at all. Regardless, the more contributing factors we find, the better. More likely there is a specific thing in the air pollution that is affecting this, and hopefully we can find that, too.

This.

There is a significant amount of research coming out now that is also showing that nutrition while pregnant has a major influence on a child's immune system for the rest of their life, and how they respond to disease. Lots of factors, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
Jythier wrote:

This.

There is a significant amount of research coming out now that is also showing that nutrition while pregnant has a major influence on a child's immune system for the rest of their life, and how they respond to disease. Lots of factors, it seems.
True, but some are easier to eliminate then others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
rue, but some are easier to eliminate then others.

Agreed...though, I would also say that some are easier to eliminate in theory. If such things were always easy, we'd have a lot less (if any?) type 2 diabetes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't we then have tons of autism in China, India, etc?

Or do we already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Or do we already?

I think there may have been an article on it that I saw. But I didn't read it. It looked long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Or do we already?

This is an excellent question. It seems that China is starting to look into autism, but they are not currently aware of how prevalent it is. They are launching (or have have launched) a study that will help define the percentage of the populace that have autism and the degrees of autism that are demonstrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing some more digging, it does not appear that India has any hard numbers for autism. I found that South Korea has 1 in 38 kids having autism according to one of their studies, but I did not find the reference to that study. It looks like we're about 1 in 50 here in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
After doing some more digging, it does not appear that India has any hard numbers for autism. I found that South Korea has 1 in 38 kids having autism according to one of their studies, but I did not find the reference to that study.

South Korea's air is pretty polluted, from what I've heard. We were thinking of possibly living there for a while until we learned this. A lot of the pollution drifts over from China...

Quote:
It looks like we're about 1 in 50 here in the US.

1 in 32 Utah boys, per the article

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any info on Canada? I can't seem to find anything useful in terms of numbers. Judging by the stark difference in landscape just going over the Ambassador Bridge to Canada from Detroit, I would expect our cleaner neighbor to the north to be fairing a bit better overall than we are in terms of autism, if air pollution is the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Quote:
It looks like we're about 1 in 50 here in the US.

1 in 32 Utah boys, per the article

Yep, according to the study, there appears to be a significant difference between boys and girls in the statistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think autistic kids would get along much better in the structured school environment in China than they do in the more free-wheeling US school environments.

Honestly, I am not sure that my daughter growing up when I did would ever have been identified as anything but a loner that doesn't participate in class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmhoman1 wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Canada? I can't seem to find anything useful in terms of numbers. Judging by the stark difference in landscape just going over the Ambassador Bridge to Canada from Detroit, I would expect our cleaner neighbor to the north to be fairing a bit better overall than we are in terms of autism, if air pollution is the issue.

Not sure the level of pollution is much different in Windsor than Detroit, but they do keep the streets cleaner. (Or used to, it's starting to look run down, but not bombed out, yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why bother doing a study when they could have just come here and asked all these experts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Why bother doing a study when they could have just come here and asked all these experts?
As tobacco and alcohol are known to damage the development of fetuses it seems rather obvious that any pollutant mater will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Genetics is likely to remain the major known contributor to autism, but yes, there are clearly both genetic and environmental factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
bmhoman1 wrote:

Not sure the level of pollution is much different in Windsor than Detroit, but they do keep the streets cleaner. (Or used to, it's starting to look run down, but not bombed out, yet.)

I'm not talking specifically on the border, as pollution from the US does waft up in to Canada. They have taken steps over the last 20 years to reduce this problem. Canada overall, though, has fewer industrial complexes and might make for an interesting comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmhoman1 wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Canada? I can't seem to find anything useful in terms of numbers.

Here you go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but definitely in need of further study.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Utah has some of the worst air quality in the nation and it leads the country in the highest rates of children with autism.[/i]

Are we sure it's air pollution? It could just be proximity to DW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.