Subject: Magic DOTP 2014 is out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone getting it? I'm still a little hesitant to pay $10 for this with the way they are handling the new sealed deck feature, but I might give in sooner or later. But another problem for me is that I have THREE of the platforms that it was released on (iPad, PC, and PS3). I don't suppose there is a way to pay $10 and get it on all of them, is there? Assuming not, which one should I get it for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get it on all 3. That way you can get the nice promo card.

Quick question - How are they handling sealed decks now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

LOL, that's $30!

Anyway, the "sealed deck" mode takes a pool of approx. 150 cards, and randomly gives you about 80 of them, which you can then build decks (40 card minimum, including free lands, I believe) and play either a single player ladder type mode agains AI "sealed" decks, or take your built decks online against other players.

The rub is that you only get TWO "card pool" slots to begin with, and if you want more, you have to pay for them, up to 20 slots. And once you activate a slot and draw the 80 cards for it, there is NO deleting or resetting that slot.

They supposedly did it this way to prevent cheating and "pay2win", but it's significantly "pay2win" anyway, since someone that drops the money for the max extra 18 slots (at $2 a slot, I believe) is bound to have a superior pool of cards unless they get really unlucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Winterflood
England
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have brought it every year so far but this time I am hesitant. Still have to unlock a bit of the 2013 version and from what I have played of the free bit of 2014 it looks like the same old faces we get to play with again. I even managed to crash the game straight away, so that wasn't a good start, and it seemed less responsive and a bit chuggy compared to 2013 on the iPad.

There were bugs last year, like the achievements that keep re-locking after you had got them, which they didn't bother fixing but just seemed interested in pushing new decks out to get sales. And why is it so hard to put a proper manual land tap in the game. I have another game in development that uses varied types of power cards and I managed it so can't see why a big developer can't do it... although I supose again that won't bring in more money.

And I wonder if you can buy the extra sealed deck slots without buying the full game?

So hesitant about buying something that doesn't seem like it will give me a better experience than 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL, that's $30!

Yep, it is. Doing some quick calculations myself and I find that I agree with your mathematical results.

Why would that be bad? $30 is half the price of any new console game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On top of that, 99% of new console games are probably less interesting than Magic. (Note that I actually don't really like Magic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
tigerwiccan wrote:
wytefang wrote:

LOL, that's $30!

Yep, it is. Doing some quick calculations myself and I find that I agree with your mathematical results.

Math was never my strong point, but at least I got that right, lol.

And it wouldn't be bad, except that I just spent $30 on X-Com and KOTOR for my iPad.

Also, if I get all three versions, I would have to GRIND separately on all three. I wish they would integrate them, so that your progress transfers between them all. Also, cross-platform mp would rock as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will most definitely be checking out the free version during the train ride home from work today. Will weigh in more later.

But I have to say, if I am understanding the sealed format explanation correctly, that I am disappointed. I suppose a pool of that size will have a decent number of options to be somewhat replayable, but it annoys me to think that there is a roughly 2:7 chance that I will not see a given card from the 150-card larger pool on either of my two pool draws. And frankly, I don't want to have to pay to increase those odds.

Having precisely zero experience with MTGO, is there any CCG (or, I suppose, LCG) that operates a digital platform that allows you to essentially "upload" your tangible collection by entering a serial number unique to the card? My hesitation to even try MTGO was a combination of the fact that I appreciate having the physical collectible object, and a frustration that I would have no credit for the collection I already accumulated. [If this question would hijack the thread, and there is any interest, I will start a new thread on this.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.