Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie questions Dino / Robots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I wanted to give you a step by step of 1 hand that got confusing.

Sitting at Rhodes Plaza - at the break point each player receives 1 VP for each minion on the base.

my daughter has 4 minions and she throws down 1 Microbot Reclaimer.

it breaks the base. on the card it says
"If this is the firest minion you played this turn you may play an extra minion......"

My daughter wanted to us the extra minion on the new base after it breaks.

at first I told her no you can't do that because the minion is destroyed on the breakpoint.

We were not sure what to do so.....

she played 1 Microbot Reclaimer (tipping the base) then 2 Zapbots on the Rhodes Plaza.

so she went from getting 4 VP to 7 VP.

the questions is what is the correct answer.

1. does she still get the extra minion if it breaks?
2. can she place the extra minions on the base that tips or can she use it on another base?

alot of thoughts on this I just want to know the best way to resolve this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
honestly I should had given her the extra minion and broke the base and save myself 3 VP to her but I wanted to be fair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
Barmace wrote:
2. can she place the extra minions on the base that tips or can she use it on another base?
Quick answer is YES on both questions.

A bit more fleshed out answer is this;
Your daughter can only play the "extra" on any base that is currently on the table. So she wouldn't be able to play it on which ever base that takes the place of Rhodes Plaza, this because it is no longer her turn any more.
But she can play the "extra(s)" onto Rhodes Plaza because it is still in play until it has been removed at the end of the turn.

Breaking a base means that at the very end of the current players' turn, that broken base is scored, then removed and replaced with a new base. Then you either go on to score any other broken bases, replacing those in order, and then the turn passes to the next player.
Until this has all come to pass, any effects that allows you to play "extra minions" will enable you to place more Minions onto any Base currently on the table. Once all Minions and Actions has been played out, you move on to scoring and removing+replacing the Bases.

Some Minions effects will allow you to move them to another base or attach itself to the replacing Base. Likewise there are some Bases and Actions that has similar effect..

Hope this helps and welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

From the rules

Page 3 of the English Rulebook wrote:
1. Crank It Up
Some abilities happen at the start of your turn.
This is when that goes down. Yo.

2. Play Cards
On your turn play one minion, play one action,
or play one of each… for free! You can play
your cards in any order. You don’t have to play
any cards.
Minions
To play a minion, choose a base and put the
minion card beside it, facing toward you. Do what
the card says. (Cards that start with Special are a
special case. See page 8 for an explanation.)
Actions
To play an action, show your card and do what it
says. Boom! Then discard the action (unless it has
an Ongoing ability).

3. Check for Scoring
After you are done playing cards, check to see
whether any bases are ready to score (see page 6).
If any are ready, you must start scoring.
After scoring bases, check to see if any
players have 15 or more victory points. If so,
see The End of the World on page 6.

4. Draw 2 Cards
Just what it says. The maximum number of cards
you can have in your hand at this time is 10. If
you have more than 10 after drawing, discard
down to 10.
If you need to draw or reveal a card and your
deck is empty, shuffle your discard pile. Put it on
the table face down—that’s your new deck. Start
drawing from there.

5. Shut It Down
Anything that happens at the end of the turn
happens here. Play passes to the player on the left.

Bases don't break during a turn until after a player has finished playing all their cards. It doesn't matter if the breaking point is reached while you are playing cards all that matter is that the breaking point is met/exceeded after you are done playing all your cards.

By the time the new base replaces the old one you are done with your "Play Cards" phase of your turn.

Hence the answer to question 1 is YES and the answer to Question 2 is you can continue playing minions ona base that's met it's breaking point but not on the new base that replaces it.

From what you described you played it right by letting her play 3 more minions in the Mall but not letting her play additional minions on the new base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base doesn't break/score until the end of her turn. She would get to play the extra minion, either on the same base, which would give her an extra VP when you score the base, or she can play it on a different base already in play. She would not get to play the extra minion on the base that replaces the Rhodes Plaza after it score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Ok I got it now. I can not seem to beat this combo. Dino/Robots are really hard. She has won 7 games straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barmace wrote:
Ok I got it now. I can not seem to beat this combo. Dino/Robots are really hard. She has won 7 games straight.

Desperate measures are called for. Try wizard zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Barmace wrote:

Desperate measures are called for. Try wizard zombies.

And if things are really bleak try Zombie Wizards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also..if you think thats bad..let her play Zombie Robots..they are even more brutal.

To be fair..anyone who pulls robots need to be carefuly watched. They can quickly run away with the game if you let them.

You actually have to play a bit agressive against robots..even if she is your kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcrowder wrote:
..even if she is your kid.
Squash her like a grape! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I told her that she needed to try something other than Robots.

what are you thoughts on

Robot/Aliens
Robot/Plants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I did a test game by myself and Wizard/Zombies brings out alot of cards but for me it was hard becaue I could use alot of actions but my minions were pretty small. If I am going to shutdown Robot/Dino I am thinking maybe

Bear/wizard. Bears counter the dino's and wizards can pull out mobs fast like Robots....

Thoughts?

I play tonight with my daughter I will let you know how I do against her with zombie/wizards

I want to have 2 decks that counstantly shut her down. (forgive me I am writing this at work and I don't have the cards in front of me)

I played a Bear card that allowed me to move a minion to another base and I had another bear card on another base that destroys a minion with less power than me it is a 3. So it shutdown her robots for a short time but like a Hoard she kept coming until she dropped the big 7 dino on me and took the base. but I did hold her off for 3 turns and destroyed 3 of her minions. Alas they were all 1's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that Ninja/Plants can counter any big minion the game can bring....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
just an update I played

Zombie/Wizards
and
Alien/Plants

I come very close but it seems to be 13 to 15 or 14 to 15 but she seems to win. I would like to crush her Robot/Dino combo but she seems to beat me everytime.

I am going to try
Zombie/Alien

I might try Bear/Robots too. I have 2 of everything and I think it would be cheesy to play Dino/Robots against Dino/Robots.

I wanted to take a second to say thanks to everyone answering all my questions. This is such a simple game to learn but the challenge is interpreting the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.