Subject: Weather dice and winter map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago I posted a few images on a homemade map of a Winter Wonder Land in which Orcs are walking around. In the image comments section I got some response on the map and the weather die used. Later, I received an e-mail by Lemur asking for official house rules. I don't have solid tested house rules yet, nor does any scan of the homemade map give a satisfying result (the map and the die really go together).

In the meanwhile I've contacted Grant Dalgliesh from Columbia Games to ask if it is allowed to use WizardKings pictures and such. Given a link is made to the homepage we gamers are free to use their stuff. So the idea is to use the mapmaking kit posted on the Columbia Games page to make a digital version of the wintermap. And actually, I would like to make a whole scenario out of it. The idea is the following.

Orcs live in the Southern Lands in divided tribes. Bad harvests and overexploitation (Orcs really are primarily farmers) have put pressure on the Orcish society. Normally this would mean civil war, or turning swamp land into farm lands, angering the Trolls. Now, some kind of General (a wizard unit I suppose) wants to unite them and go to war. This war would mean conquest of the territories of the Northern Tribes, the Elves, the Treek and the Pixies, and the Wizard Union (wizards and their Chaos allies). These tribes are neutral at the start of the game, except the Wizards, who’ll do anything in their power to stop Evil Dick Orc Wizard.

There are two problems for the Orcish player: uniting the Orcish forces and the nasty weather in the Northern Lands. The two adjacent maps would get areas indicating the home regions of the different tribes. The upper part (map 1 approximately) would be snow and ice, subject to bad weather conditions, which hampers Orc units more than the Northern Tribes. The lower part (the other map) would get swamps, deserts, and empty hexes. The sun can be very hot here…

I’m also thinking about some diplomatic rules to mobilise units. Obviously, an invasion by the Orcs instantly turns the people of that land to war with the Orcs. Capital cities or holy places (for example, Treek: some holy White Tree of Minas Tirith kind of place) are key in the game. Wizard units can “persuade” (spells) lands to join or to become neutral. But it might turn out some card play is better, or just spending GP’s and roll a die.

Any responses?

Oetan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this the first time it got posted...but, yes, I'm still highly interested in seeing the house rules you've developed!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm still highly interested in seeing the house rules you've developed!

Hi, Chris.

My idea now is to convert my homemade map and hand-written notes to a full digitalised scenario. I would like to implement:

1. Areas. Rather than just hexes, the maps have countries that consist of a number of hexes, much like EastFront. When a country is under control by a player, it is off limits for the other player, unless war is (re)declared on that country.

2. Weather. The northern map (Elf lands) has many hexes of a snow-like type. They start as normal clear hexes, but when Ice is rolled they turn to snow hexes, hampering movement and changing hex-side and stacking limits. Also, water hexes with ice count as clear land hexes! The southern map (Orc lands) is very hot. That is, when Sun is rolled clear hexes count as desert hexes.

Storm makes that sea hexes cannot be crossed by sea movement nor can sea creatures move (only Kraken in the case of the Orcs). Etc.

3. Diplomacy. The Elven forces and the Orc forces are divided into different peoples, who are not automatically available for (re)building. The Orc player starts with one wizard unit, the chaos units (no Pegasus) and some amount of GP worth of units. He may cast spells to convert Orc lands (Tribes) to go to war. Every tribe that joins means an extra amount of GP can be spent. Trolls are a race on itself, harder to convince.

The Elven player starts with two wizards and the chaos units (no Pegasus). He has to convince the Treek, the Elves and the Pixies to fight for their lands. When the Orcish forces invade a country, that country automatically joins the Elven player forces and mobilizes. The units of that land become available, as well as the amount of GP present in that country. However, if the capital submits to the Orcish forces that country is knocked out of the war. The Orcish player gains VP’s for that.

The Pegasus can only be controlled by one player. So either the Pegasus is neutral, fighting for the Orcs or fighting for the Elves.

The Elven player must successfully defend against the Orcs, the Orcish player must gain so many VP’s after so many turns to win.

I would like to know what other people think of it, what they think might be a nice twist to the default rules of Wizard Kings, suggestions for this scenario, etc. So if you have any suggestions, comments, ideas…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a super cool idea for a scenario. Let me know if there's something I can do to help.

tmk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is a super cool idea for a scenario. Let me know if there's something I can do to help.

I'm posting it now on BGG, which means version 1 becomes available I hope sometime this week. Play it, tweak it, and post your feedback + version of the rules back here.

The first version has no lands yet, and it's mostly that people can try the weather stuff. Map and rules can all be changed to the liking of players.

I'll edit this as soon as the file is posted by the BGG admins and I'm back from a congress I have for work.

Oetan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some idea of how to play the scenario.

The Orcs start with 80 (or 60 or 100 or whatever you decide) GP worth of units and a shakla (no, THE shakla). The Elves have fewer forces, but the Orcs are not IN the northern lands yet. That will take two turns at least, so the Elven player will have received 20 GP worth of units and two free Treek units by the time the Orcs are in battle range. The Elven player should spend his GP mostly on Gladers I think to protect his Treek and Ranger units.

Depending on the weather the Orcs can go towards Treek country to occupy the holy Black Tree, or go for the Elven capital Kreeria. The Elven player might want to draw the Orcs into the snow, hoping for a roll of ice. When snow hexes are frozen Rangers and Gladers get +1 on their die rolls.

For now I don't know the number of rounds that is good to play this game. For now I would say 15 suffices, but more test-playing might reveal this is off too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.