Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K.
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the iOS game twice now, and both times I feel like I've struggled the whole game gathering resources to build an empire and get some good ships, only to have it end right as I'm gearing up for some good battles. It's like watching a movie that ends just before the climax. I can see how the board game designer put a limit on the number of rounds to keep the game length manageable, but I can play through a game on the iPad in less than 45 minutes. It would be a great feature to have the option to extend the game some additional rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the physical game quite a bit, and the iOS version a little, and initially I felt this way too. However, I've found that if you battle sooner (ancients/neighbors by round 4 or so) plus hit the GCDS by round 6 or so, you'll have a much more combat rich game. Unless your strategy is to turtle, don't wait until you've optimized your ships to your liking. Upgrade what you can (don't forget to make use of the starter ship parts with no corresponding techs to research) and battle as soon as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ernst Foelsche
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmb
snapadonut wrote:
I've played the iOS game twice now, and both times I feel like I've struggled the whole game gathering resources to build an empire and get some good ships, only to have it end right as I'm gearing up for some good battles. It's like watching a movie that ends just before the climax. I can see how the board game designer put a limit on the number of rounds to keep the game length manageable, but I can play through a game on the iPad in less than 45 minutes. It would be a great feature to have the option to extend the game some additional rounds.

I'd certainly enjoy an option to change how long the game lasts, at least by a couple of extra turns, if not more. Perhaps with an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes a 10th or 11th round would be nice. Gives super expensive techs like worm whole generators a chance to be useful.

I also found that trying to attack early can be either the thing that puts you well into the lead through the whole game or you lose your ships to the Ancient your are attanking and you are set back for 2 turns and watching everyone else race ahead. Frankly while playing solo on the iPad I just instantly restart the minute I get shut down like this because I've played enough times to know the game isn't any fun once you've lost your fleet and have to wait to rebuild.

This game is supposed to be Euro like in the sense that it keeps all players in the game, but in fact I find it to be very unforgiving. It's 50/50 whether you win that first Ancient battle or not and depending on how that goes so does your game. Don't deny it. You know you breath a sigh of relief if you can get that good region without losing a ship to battle. Which then in turn makes it all the more easy to win the next one because you added a new ship or two to the existing fleet making Ancient battle wins pretty automatic after the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.