Subject: So a quick question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is "Sandy Peterson" and why should that entice me to want to play this game?

(I always find myself somewhat curious and bemused - all at once - whenever I see someone slap their name on a game, especially when I'm out of the loop on who they are. It's like, why should that name entice me?)

Anyone know? I'm just curious.

This looks like a fantastic game, all things considered and I'm probably going to ask for a backing pledge of it for my upcoming birthday. ::: crossing fingers :::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's the guy who wrote the original rules for the Call of Cthulhu RPG along with a host of other credits. His is just one of those names in hobby gaming that I associate with people like Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson and Steve Jackson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you happen to scroll down on the KS page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: We are all winners - we were the fastest spermMicrobadge: Attempting to give a damn.......damn not given.
The computer is your friend....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Petersen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
He's kind of a big deal.

Yup, scroll down the KS page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also one of the designers of the original Arkham Horror board game that later morphed into the FFG version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zebra Matt
United Kingdom
Brighton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reputable sources cite him as the inventor of Shub-Niggurath's Dark Young as we now know and love them...

(Robert Bloch laid down the groundwork in Notebook Found in a Deserted House -"Something black in the road, something that wasn't a tree. Something big and black and ropy, just squatting there, waiting, with ropy arms squirming and reaching. . . It came crawling up the hillside. . . and it was the black thing of my dreams – that black, ropy, slime jelly tree-thing out of the woods. It crawled up and it flowed up on its hoofs and mouths and snaky arms."- but they're explicitly therein just a manifestation of the formless Shoggoth grotesqueries; it's not until Call of Cthulhu they are canonised as an entirely separate and unique entity possessing a set form inspired by that description.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
it's not until Call of Cthulhu they are canonised as an entirely separate and unique entity possessing a set form inspired by that description
He canonized/described Hunting Horrors as well, which had previously been only two words mentioned in a story of HPL I believe.

Here's some awards he's received over his career, as this stuff may not be as readily available on the internet, but as his son, I know of it. Keep in mind, these are for roleplaying games, not board games:

He has received the HG Wells Award at Origins for best roleplaying rules in 1986 for Ghostbusters;
Best Roleplaying supplement in 1989 at Origins for Creatures of the Dreamlands;
was accepted into the Gaming Hall of Fame at Origins in 1990;
received the Gamer's Choice Award (voted on by players) Hall of Fame in 1994;
was inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design in 1995 for Call of Cthulhu and again in 2004.

Awards don't necessarily mean anything, but I like to shamelessly plug my Dad because I think he's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognized Sandy's name from the Age of Empires games.

Those games killed so much of my productivity in college.

Never knew he had done so much time in the tabletop trenches prior to entering the video game field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Never knew he had done so much time in the tabletop trenches prior to entering the video game field.
He's not really a bragger, so I always feel like I have to do it for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, should've scrolled down. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
Microbadge: Robin loverMicrobadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: I'm a member of the BGG Cricket Guild!Microbadge: Star Wars fan - Princess LeiaMicrobadge: Alexander the Great enthusiast
existoid wrote:
Awards don't necessarily mean anything, but I like to shamelessly plug my Dad because I think he's great!
You're a good son. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

You're a good Geekbuddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Windrim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu alone is worth a lot to me, as a credit. Every game of every other RP system I play is now slightly paranoid..."Wait - you're no gnome wizard...oh god - that mask-like face - the buzzing, clicking voice of the star-thing from the vault of night! -" (Lose 1/1D4 Sanity.)

More seriously, that game is also brilliant at making theme naturally arise from proper play...and somehow it makes it better that the (deeply unfair, grossly overpowered) monsters that killed me constantly in CoC will be at my beck and call (mwahahaha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zebra Matt
United Kingdom
Brighton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTv73HuzG3U

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the previous Lovecraft games were based on trying to prevent the full world-transforming horror of the Outer Gods from manifesting.

I always wanted to do a game where you could SEE all that stuff - where the Great Old Ones would be free to run rampant and play with all their toys. It took me 34 years to do it, though.

Sandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls