Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after playing the two player draft..and then with larger groups a few times.

We realized it was actually way more fun to draft with the same number of cards as you do 2 player.

So each player gets a hand of 13 cards..and then we draft as normal leaving 15-20 cards that never get used.

It allows even at the end for us to more carefully build our decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually this is a variant that Tom Vasel also suggested in his review, he said he preferred drafting 12 cards then using 8 of them. I've only tried this a few times while testing the Mage Tower App. It makes cards that are looking for specific other cards (like Death Ray which likes 3-cost cards) much better, but overall everyone's decks will be better so it probably evens out. Definitely something I'd like to test more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sharwarko
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the original drafting for competive. It means there are some cards in your deck that are suboptimal. This allows for more combo discovery and/or disaster management. Plus you need those occasional turns where you can't do anything useful or the game can drag a bit. Plus it's fun to comeback after getting whacked by two giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
This is OverText
badge
This is also OverText
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinger17011 wrote:
I like the original drafting for competive. It means there are some cards in your deck that are suboptimal. This allows for more combo discovery and/or disaster management. Plus you need those occasional turns where you can't do anything useful or the game can drag a bit. Plus it's fun to comeback after getting whacked by two giants.
I agree entirely. Mitigating dead weight is an excellent part of the game, and occasionally you stumble across an unexpected synergy. I wouldn't mind trying a larger pool, but I wouldn't want it as the norm. Especially because there are certain cards that I feel are almost universally stronger or weaker than others (Ceremony vs. Enchanted Nymph). The highs and lows of the draft deck add tension, and players have to deal with the good and bad instead of simply sticking four out of twelve cards in the sideboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls